Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattlikesbikes

Am I too later to Aerate SE PA

mattlikesbikes
10 years ago

I am located in Suburban Philadelphia (bucks County) This is my first year with a .5 acre lawn. I was planning to aerate and overseed this fall but due to some events I was not able to get to it until now. I know it is too late to overseed but can I still core aerate? My lawn is pretty compacted and as far as I know has never been aerated. We are expecting some temps in the mid 30's at night next week for a few days but it has been in the 60's during the day.

Also If I do aerate this weekend would it be ok to dormant seed in the middle of November or am I wasting my time at this point.

Thanks

Comment (1)

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Sure, you can aerate this weekend. But I would hold off on the dormant seeding until the dead of winter. Here is a link to a very good article on winter seeding by our Horticulture Extension Agent and fearless leader of our Master Gardener program, Dennis Patton. This is for Kansas, where the timing might be different than for PA. You might want to contact Penn State Extension for the timing in Philadelphia.

Periodically in winter, I get a K-State newsletter that explains winter seeding as well. It advises to seed over snow so that with somemelting in sunlight, the seed falls to the soil level, and with a little thawing, it is placed naturally in contact with the soil, even embedding between soil particles. You will have to overseed at a pretty high rate, though, maybe double what you would do in September. Germination rates are pretty low, but as this K-State article indicates, germination rates can vary significantly depending on your timing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter/Dormant Seeding, K-State Extension