Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I too later to Aerate SE PA

Posted by mattlikesbikes 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 6:17

I am located in Suburban Philadelphia (bucks County) This is my first year with a .5 acre lawn. I was planning to aerate and overseed this fall but due to some events I was not able to get to it until now. I know it is too late to overseed but can I still core aerate? My lawn is pretty compacted and as far as I know has never been aerated. We are expecting some temps in the mid 30's at night next week for a few days but it has been in the 60's during the day.

Also If I do aerate this weekend would it be ok to dormant seed in the middle of November or am I wasting my time at this point.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I too later to Aerate SE PA

Sure, you can aerate this weekend. But I would hold off on the dormant seeding until the dead of winter. Here is a link to a very good article on winter seeding by our Horticulture Extension Agent and fearless leader of our Master Gardener program, Dennis Patton. This is for Kansas, where the timing might be different than for PA. You might want to contact Penn State Extension for the timing in Philadelphia.

Periodically in winter, I get a K-State newsletter that explains winter seeding as well. It advises to seed over snow so that with somemelting in sunlight, the seed falls to the soil level, and with a little thawing, it is placed naturally in contact with the soil, even embedding between soil particles. You will have to overseed at a pretty high rate, though, maybe double what you would do in September. Germination rates are pretty low, but as this K-State article indicates, germination rates can vary significantly depending on your timing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter/Dormant Seeding, K-State Extension

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here