Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too Late to Dethatch Lawn?

Posted by TNG1 none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 8:10

Hey Everyone,

I've read a few things about dethatching lawns and some say it's too late, but others say anytime is a good time. I live in Central Ohio and my lawn is Kentucky Bluegrass. Is it too late in the growing season to dethatch it? If so, how early in the Spring should I do it next year. Thanks in advance for your help! Much obliged.

TNG1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too Late to Dethatch Lawn?

Why do you want to dethatch it? Was it suggested by someone or is it something you know something about?

Normally you should not need to dethatch unless you are watering too frequently (for example daily instead of once per week during the summer) and if you are feeding with a liquid fertilizer at least once per month. This time of year you should have moved your watering to once per month. Normally the microbes in the soil will decompose the dead grass as it filters down after mowing.

This time of year I would spray it with molasses to stimulate the soil bacteria and let it sit for the winter. Then in the spring, look to see if the thatch issue is any better. The molasses rate is 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet. Do you use organic fertilizer at all?

o
RE: Too Late to Dethatch Lawn?

If you have a thick thatch layer (1/2 inch or more) then by all means dethatch it now. Save the molasses for your baking. At the rate Dchall suggested all you will have is sweeter soil (see USGA study below).

http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/article/zuberer-soil-7-20-12.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here