Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snails Infestation in Lawn

Posted by njgardener_2007 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 9:20

Hi - We have lots and lots of snails in our lawn. They are very small and you can see them with their tiny little shells. They are in the grass, the soil, our driveway, on the garage door, on the front steps, the walkway, everywhere!

We had this problem since mid-summer but it seems to be getting worse now. We put down a pellatized snail killer which didnt help a bit.

What should we do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snails Infestation in Lawn

Harvest them .. escargot! ...although, I'll not be buying any.

o

Set out a container with beer - they just love the stuff. Make sure its shallow enough for them to crawl in and deep enough that they can't crawl out.

o

bird baths everywhere.

o

If you are not opposed to using chemical fertilizers, scatter ammonium sulfate around at the regular fertilizer rate. You can get a lifetime supply of it for under $10. AS is a white rock salt and it does what salt does to snails. You should be snail free for years to come.

o

The Beer idea is not going to work since they have covered our entire 1 acre of lawn. So that would be a lot of beer!

As for the ammonium sulfate - I am open to try anything at this point. I looked up ammonium sulfate and i read that it is used to bring down the pH of soil. Our soil is already pretty acidic and we were actually planning on putting down Lime. So this Ammonium Sulfate would have the opposite affect of what we are trying to do in the first place.

should we still apply it? Also, will Lime kill snails?

o

What you need is 2 or 3 pet ducks (yes like Daffy) to graze in your yard for a week. They LOVE snails. They would clean them out and leave you some very nice fertilizer as a bonus. (grin)

However ... I'll bet your city has a law preventing ducks as pets.

Althought...if you had them on a leash...maybe?

o

DUCKS! I wish I'd thought of that. Start with ducklings and they will hang around when they mature in a few weeks. Otherwise they will fly away. Clip their wings and they will stay until the feathers grow back. Some ducks provide excellent eggs on a daily basis, especially when they are fed on meat (snails).

o

You will not put down enough Ammonia Sulfate to effect your PH. If you did it would burn all your grass right up. It is only repeated applications you have to worry about, and by that I mean for every fertlizer application.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here