Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Home Owner, Front Lawn looks terrible

Posted by TaekwonV Northern Virginia (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 10:01

Hello everyone. I'm a new home owner and would really appreciate any advice you guys can give me. I currently live in Northern Virginia. I've done some research and understand how to maintain a great lawn, but have no idea how to revive it from its current poor condition. Is my lawn salvageable?

I moved in August and the front lawn was mostly crabgrass and weeds at the time. I unfortunately I used weed-b-gone during one of the hottest weeks and it basically killed where ever I sprayed. (I used it in random areas, not the whole lawn). I have not done any other treatment besides the occasional watering. Fast forward to now and as you can see in the picture, most of whats left is dead crab grass and weeds. I understand it is late in the lawncare season but what steps can I take now and next few months to ensure my lawn is in better shape next year?

This post was edited by TaekwonV on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 10:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Home Owner, Front Lawn looks terrible

Here are a few more pictures. There are random patches of green grass which was my half ass attempt at overseeding. In hindsight I guess I should have went all out and did the whole yard.

o

Close up image

o

Side of house which looks decent.

o

I found this old topic about winter overseeding on the forums... is this viable in my situation and location (Northern Virginia).

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Overseeding

o

What kind of grass do you have?
How have you been watering (frequency and duration)?
How high/low have you been mowing?
Have you fertilized? if so, with what and when.
How cold is it getting at night?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here