Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two types of grass in my front yard

Posted by kermit_xc TX (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 10:21

I just moved into a newly built house, the builder has laid bermuda sod (hybrid I assume) - the problem is the landscapers ran out of sod and now looks like I have 2/3 one type of grass and 1/3 different.

It really looks bad, looks like the 2/3 part is growing well and I just mowed it for the first time last weekend, the 1/3 in the front doesn't look like it's going anywhere with brown spots.

Is the 1/3 already going dormant? - we are talking Austin, TX and temperature didn't drop below 50*F yet. I will attach some photos later - but just to see what I am dealing with, is it something I will have to address with the builder or can I leave it like that and it will come back in the spring

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two types of grass in my front yard

Just a thought here... It may be the same type of Bermuda but from different shipments with one being much fresher cut than the other when it was laid. If the landscaper buys from some certain dealer then that dealer would most likely carry one species of Bermuda grass that he gets from his grower.
Steve

o

That actually makes perfect sense - so the good old question, it's been a month and I just cut the grass for the first time last weekend, do I need to fertilize it now?

o

The most oft given advice for my area in DFW is to fertilize at a reduced rate after the second mowing but that applies to my area, not necessarily yours (although Austin shouldn't be an issue)... Additionally, with cooler weather coming on quickly, you have to be careful about a product's nitrogen content because you don't want to stimulate new top growth when colder weather may just come along and kill it, weakening the plants in the process (energy expended with no viable return). A fall fertilization is generally a good thing but applied too late and it doesn't always do what you need it to do. Check with your local experts or local Master Gardeners for suggestions on products and timing.
*Note: if you're an organic gardener/lawn grower type, most organic products can be applied nearly round with good results and without the issues noted above.
Steve

o

Can you confirm that you have bermuda?

How are you watering the new sod?

Did they roll the sod down?

How high/low did you mow? and does it seem to still be growing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here