Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chanbr

Seeds for grass that is good for all year round

chanbr
11 years ago

I am trying to buy some grass seeds and grow some new grass on my lawn. What kind of grass seeds do I get so the grass will stay green all year round? I live in Los Angeles.

Thanks,

Brian

Comments (5)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

A lot of things to consider. First, what type of grass do you have now? Second, LA is a big place, can you be more specific? Is watering your grass an issue? A lot of lawns in the LA area that can be green all year round are composed of Marathon, a specific tall fescue blend that does well in the heat. If you have a warm season grass (Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, centipede, Paspalum), then those should spread to fill in bare areas, but can go brown in the winter if temperatures get low enough.

• chanbr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My lawn was bare before some guy planted some grass seeds for me. I don't know exactly what kind. That's why I decided to come back to this group and ask some questions. There is grass growing now sparingly from the seeds, but I want to fill the empty spots with more grass seeds. I live in Temple City, about 20 miles from downtown Los Angeles. Watering my grass is not an issue. Thank you.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

Well chances are if it was from seed it was a cool season grass as most of the warm season grasses are from sod only. Granted there some varieties of Bermuda and Zoysia that can be seeded but most are undesirable.

As Timeco points out LA is a big place with several climatic zones. Closer to the coast a Fescue like Marathon would be a good choice. Further inland where it is hotter and dryer a warm season grass would be more practical. Availability to water is going to be a big issue.

• Bev Cashen
    10 years ago

Hello to all of you grass experts!
    Was wondering if I can plant grass seeds over the lawn I have now which I do not know what it is called. I have a large front yard and there are areas that have gone brown.
    Is it ok to plant seed on those areas?
    We are in restricted II live in LA) water right now, but I manage to water at least once a week with a good soaking.
    Thanks for any advice! :)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

liz,
    First of all, welcome to this forum, but...would you please start a new topic rather than hitching onto this one. This forum system can be confusing. The problem is people click on this topic and have to read through the original poster's discussion before getting to you. That is a waste of time for us trying to help. So if you could start a new topic and tell us exactly where you live. As tiemco mentioned, LA is a big place if you don't get too specific. Some people think El Segundo is LA while others think Big Bear Lake is LA. Climate and soil are completely different, so it helps to know which community you live in. The difference between West LA and East LA is dramatic for turf. Also mention the details of your water restrictions. Some are much more severe than others. Have you tested your sprinkler to see how long it takes to fill several cat food or tuna cans? One person's "good soaking" is another person's light mist.

What kind of grass do you have now?
    Can you post a picture of the overall lawn - preferably taken on a cloudy day. Then take another picture at a distance of 3 inches looking down on the brown grass. Many grasses go dormant in the winter and will come back very green without doing anything. We should be able to tell from the pictures what grass you have.

So don't reply to this - please start a new topic. Thanks