Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Circles ( Rings)

Posted by knitwitter Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 12:06

You've heard of crop circles?? Well, I have lawn circles!!
They are perfectly round rings of grass that are scattered throughout the lawn,...some of these rings are 4 feet across, some only about 12 inches across, but all are perfectly round...this is the 2nd year they have shown up.
They aren't hurting anything, just interesting and baffling.
Anyone have an answer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Circles ( Rings)

pics?
could be fungus.

o

Without any more details, I'd guess "fairy ring" fungus.

How often do you water? And for how long?

Although most of Utah is desert, the most common lawn problems are caused by too much water.

o

It is absolutely fairy rings caused by a fungus. If the fungus is not killing the grass and you can tolerate the appearance, then leave it alone.

o

And if it's a fungus in Utah, the solution is simple. Stop overwatering. Don't listen to your neighbors about how often and how much to water. They're all overwatering because water is too cheap here.

Water no more than three times a week. Two times a week would be better. Once is ideal, but with our climate, it's unlikely that you'll keep your lawn green with once a week.

I'm guessing that you're currently watering daily (or twice daily). If so, that's the problem.

o

We have one ring in our lawn, too. It's just one perfect circle about 12 inches across. The ring is brown with a donut hole in the middle of healthy looking green grass. So weird.

I tried to figure out what the problem is but all of the circles kind of look the same. From Summer Patch to Fairy Rings... so it's hard for me to figure it out.

Maybe I overwatered this Summer too. I watered everyday anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. It just gets so very hot in our backyard. The sun just bakes the grass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here