Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best east tn grass seed to...

Posted by joe_schmoe none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 13:17

overseed with? I have just core aerated my yard and now need to figure out what the best seed to apply to my lawn. I have looked at Rebels, Scott's and Falcon III so far.

When I did my yard after the contractors attempt to get grass growing failed miserably, I used Rebel II grass seed and in the back of the house the stand of grass is BEAUTIFUL. The front is so so...Does anyone have any suggestions for the East TN area of which is the best suited grass seed for the area???

Most of the back yard is 8 to 10 hours of full sun...The front is more like 4 to 6 hours of full sun...With several areas of heavy shade..

Any help would be appreciated....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best east tn grass seed to...

If you have areas of "heavy shade" I'd go with a turf type tall fescue (TTTF).

o
RE: best east tn grass seed to...

Yes, TTTF would be the best choice for TN and for shadier areas. It will do fine with 4-6 hours of sun, and it tolerate the hot humid summers better than rye, and KBG. Use the NTEP trials to decide which cultivars you should select, and stay away from ones that do poorly in shade, as there are a few that aren't that shade tolerant:

http://www.ntep.org/data/tf06/tf06_12-9/tf06_12-9.pdf

You could mix in some KBG, but if you do you will also want to select cultivars that do better in the transition zone. The Hogan Company, in Springfield TN, carries a lot of the better TTTF cultivars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here