Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1111gd1111

If I didn't have enough challenges with my lawn already!!!!......

Now I've got skunks or other animals digging up my lawn in their search for grubs. I know I have a grub problem that I was going to deal with next year (GrubEx application in summer) but is there something I should be doing now?

Besides trapping and shooting the offenders, can I spread something on the lawn to keep them away?

TIA!

Comments (14)

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

Bayer has a 24hr grub killer. I believe home depot carries it.

...I'm not sure at what temperatures grubs start heading into the deep for winter, but I'd assume you should get it down ASAP.

I've never used this product so check the label.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Active agent: Dylox

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just spread out 25k sq ft ($100) of the Bayer grub stuff. Supposed to work within 24 hrs. Two sprinklers are running to get the stuff watered in.

I couldn't afford to treat the entire lawn.....only the areas that I know for sure are infected. Might not be the best for it but it's all I can do today.

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The skunk (my wife saw it when she came was back last night and tore the crap outta an area of my lawn. Grrrrr!!!!!!

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

my wife saw it when she came home from work....

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Glad you clarified, I was thinking that was TMI.

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

lol

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys!!!! LOL!!!

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Welcome to my world,we are having the same problem.We have a canyon directly beyond our back fence,but we have been at this house over 40 years,and this is the first time we've had this problem in all those years.We know it's a skunk/racoon problem.Last weekend dh and i went to lowes and got 5 bags of spectracide.We put 4 bags of it down last week and watered it in good.Then this mornig we go out and the damage is worse than it's ever been.The whole platoon of them must have been out there last night.Almost made me cry.

We just had this new lawn(sod) put in about 5 years ago,wasn't cheap,and now this.Makes me CRAZY!!!
    Kathi

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Can I spread something to keep them away?

You can spread buckshot but then you have to deal with the aroma of dead skunks.

I walk my dog in skunkland, TX every night. The only times I've seen skunks is in the early evening well before 10pm. I would suggest some early evening entertainment of shooting them with an Air Soft rifle to discourage them. Air Soft won't kill them but it might sting.

• Mr_Brown_Thumb
    11 years ago

I wonder if �the skunk is digging more because the grubs are going deeper to avoid the poison. �The damage may be bad at the moment but I bet that they give up on digging in your lawn after a few failed attempts at finding those little morsels. �

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Contrary to popular opinion, skunks are not solely looking for grubs. They will eat bascially anything, and I have had damage in the past from them digging up any source of food. I don't have grubs, but I do have a good amount of earthworms, and that's what they were digging up in my yard. I put a motion activated spot light outside to scare them off, but sometimes they don't leave right away. For 50 bucks you can get a motion activated sprinkler that will go on for five minutes when it detects motion in your yard. The noise of a sprinkler going off will certainly scare them off, and I can't imagine they like getting hit with water either.

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had put out a trap but the skunk didn't return for a few days. Lo and behold one morning, there he/she was in the trap. I few rounds of buckshot and the skunkk met its maker. But jesus maria do they smell!!! LOL!!!

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

If you use something like a have a heart trap, line it completely with black plastic so they skunk cannot see you coming. With that you should be able to relocate it without setting off the defense.