Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starter/Crabgrass Preventer & Exisiting Grass

Posted by dschribs CT (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 22, 10 at 14:12

I want to re-seed a few larger spots on my front lawn in the Spring as it's too late to do it now in CT. There are quite a few spots in the front lawn that are fine and don't need to be reseeded so bascially I want to "selectively re-seed" just the areas that need it. If I use Starter Fertilizer Plus Crabgrass Preventer to help with seed growth, is it ok to put that down on the entire lawn when I do my reseeding.

In other words, is the starter fertilizer ok for the exisiting grass that is there?? I plan on doing two applications of starter with crab grass preventer: the first application around April 15 when I seed and the second application about 6 weeks later (around May 30).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starter/Crabgrass Preventer & Exisiting Grass

There is nothing wrong with using the Starter Fertilizer with Crabgrass Preventer on an existing lawn. While the nutrient analysis is best for new seedlings, it will not harm your existing lawn.

o

Thanks. I plan on using 12-24-12 Starter Fertilizer + Siduron.

o

What kind of grass are you planting? If you're planting perennial rye, spring seeding is fine, but if you're going with KBG or tall fescue, dormant seeding is a better option. To dormant seed, wait until it is too cold for the seed to germinate and spread the seed. I like to do it just before the first good snow storm of the winter.

The snow melting and the freeze/thaw cycles bring the seed into contact with the soil. Once it is warm enough in the spring, the natural moisture from snow melt and spring rains should be enough to get germination. Dormant seeding usually gives you a head start of a couple of weeks on spring seeding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here