Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmlol

Lesco Transition Blend- any good?

kjmlol
14 years ago

I just bought a new house and the builder killed all of the current grass and is reseeding the lawn. They are using Lesco transition blend. Has anyone used this before? How do I know if it is good quality? I am worried since the builder is paying for the re-seeding that they might cheap out and use a lesser quality seed.

Comments (8)

• tiemco
    14 years ago

What are the cultivars listed on the tag? Does it contain any noxious weed seed? What are the areas like that are being seeded, i.e., shady, full sun, partial shade, etc. What kind of lawn do you want? I am sure you could get better seed for a little more money. I bought 50 lbs of a highly rated TTTF for about 70 bucks, which covers about 5K square feet.

• kjmlol
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tiemco,

I am not sure of the information on the tag- I asked to see a bag of seed, although I have yet to recieve it. What types of things indicated on the tag should I be looking for/trying to avoid?

The areas for seeding include the front and side lawns which recieve the afternoon and evening sun.

• Billl
    14 years ago

In NC, any seed with the name "Transition Blend" is going to be fescue.

There will be a tag on the bag somewhere. It will list the percentage of each type of grass seed in the bag. A good blend in NC will have a couple of different fescues and maybe a small portion of bluegrass. If the area is mostly sunny, you will want most of the fescues to be tall fescue. If the area has quite a bit of shade, you will want to have some fine or creeping fescue in the mix. If there is any annual rye in the mix, demand another seed.

There will be a few other percentages on the bag - usually weed seeds and noxious weed seeds. You want the mix to be 99%+ grass seed,very little weed seed, and no noxious weeds.

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Lesco is a well known company with quality products. It is perfectly reasonable pick by the builder.

• jimtnc
    14 years ago

I've used it with pretty good success. It's regular tall fescue, nothing fancy, but the 3 blends are usually pretty good cultivars.

• rsc6703
    14 years ago

If you want to know how well the varieties in the blend will perform in you are go to www.ntep.org. All seed companies that produce grass seed varities enter them in these university trials to test and compare. They are tested for many different things such as region and color. You can find companies with much better variteis online.

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

>"Lesco Transition Blend- any good?"

Have you tried the search feature within this forum? I'm sure you'd get a lot of hits.

>"I am not sure of the information on the tag"

Have you tried Google? I'm sure you'd get a lot of hits.

• ryclvn
    6 years ago

Lesco is 1 of the best grass seed for the money with killer results! !!!!