Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will a parquet dance floor ruin a lawn?

Posted by modern_miss 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 16:06

I'm having an outdoor dance party featuring live music. I'm thinking about renting a dance floor for the event and placing it flat on top of my new lawn for about 14 hours. Do you think this will kill the lawn? Will it recover? The lawn is 90% Bolero dwarf fescue.
Thanks for letting me know...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will a parquet dance floor ruin a lawn?

I would suspect there are a number of factors that will affect whether the grass survives.

I think one of the biggest factors would be the intensity of the sun on the floor. If the floor is in direct sunlight on a hot day, I think the grass would be cooked.

I know it takes a several days to kill grass by placing a plastic tarp over it. but again it depends on the intensity of the sun.

So I think the decision is going to be yours and how much you are willing to risk to have a couple of hours of dancing at your party.

o

Where do you live?
Is the dance floor in full sun or shade?

If it does kill the grass, the only solution will be to replace the sod. Dead fescue will not return and the stuff at the edges will not spread to fill it in.

o

You say its "new" lawn....well....I guess the question is..
HOW NEW?.....
If you place a wooden floor....let's assume a size...25 by 25....and place it on top of new grass which denies sunlight and moisture from gaining entry, then you have to assume some damage might result.
If you can put down the floor....within a reasonable time before actually using it, then the lawn has a better chance of bearing up to it.....as long as....as soon as the hijinks are done with....the floor is picked up and fan raked to get the grass sitting up properly to allow sunlight and moisture to gain entry, no damage might be the outcome.

o

"I think one of the biggest factors would be the intensity of the sun on the floor. If the floor is in direct sunlight on a hot day, I think the grass would be cooked."

I don't understand this at all. The floor will block all sunlight, so intensity will make no difference.

o

ivycide, if the floor heats up to 120 degrees, it will cook the grass underneath.

o

One of the ways a lawn is said to be able to be 'cooked' is by way of a black plastic sheet put in such a way that the sun is directed to bear down on it.
It takes time.....even this wont kill a lawn in half a day.
I cant see a wood floor doing so terrible damage in such a short time to kill a lawn from that recovery cant be expected when the sun returns..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here