Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zoysia - all stem

Posted by johnb352 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 16:21

I put in Zoysia sod in July of 2010. Looked great in '10, doesn't look as good this year. If I take my foot (or hand) and part the grass, I can easily see the earth. By "part the grass" I simply mean, take my foot and push the grass to one side. I believe this is because the grass is almost all stem. Last year the lawn was much thicker.

I cut the grass when it reaches about 4", and cut it down to about 3". I realize that's a little long for Zoysia. But the problem is, this is central Florida; very hot, and lots of sun.

The lawn gets full sun. I'm afraid if I cut it 2" or shorter the ground will dry out even quicker. But now, I'm afraid this lawn is vulnerable, having so little of the grass as blades of grass, versus stem.

How can I remedy this?
If I wait until this winter when the lawn has gone dormant, can I cut the lawn back to 2"?
It will be ALL stem. Will it come back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zoysia - all stem

Not sure about Zoysia but my Paspalum i cut at 1" is very very thick. I have a small patch that i have to cut at 1.75" and like yours can part it and see ground. I think that is how most runner type grasses act.

o

I think that is how most runner type grasses act

No, that isn't normal for Zoysia. It is almost all stem, with blades of grass only at the last inch or so. It isn't supposed to be like that.

o

I'm also in central Florida and have a back yard of Zoysia, my third house with Zoysia. I cut my grass weekly during the growing season to about 2 1/2 inches. The University of Florida recommends 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches but depends somewhat on the variety of Zoysia. If your grass is healthy it will probably survive okay. But if you suspect that it is not healthy then it could get hit in the fall or winter by insects e.g., billbugs, mole crickets; or by fall/winter fungus and disease. A final guess -- if your fertilizer contains excessive nitrogen, the leaves will grow but the roots and stems may be at risk.
University of Florida info: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh011
University of Georgia info: http://www.caes.uga.edu/publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_id=6884

o

I am having the same problem cutting at 3" and I am slowly working it down to 2 1/4". I have to cut 1/4 - 1/2 inch lower the first time or it looks brown every time I cut it, for a few days. In the walkway spots the grass is about 2" and is green all the way down.

o

My question was: if I cut the grass, this winter when it is dormant, short enough so that there is only stem left, will it come back?

Again, only about the top 3/4 to 1" is blades of grass. Everything below that is stem.

o

I would continue to cut at the same level as you have been doing. Since you are in zone 9 there are many growing days left before you get a hard frost or freeze. To remove all of the blade before it occurs might cause the grass to lose its resistance to freeze or pests.
Not mentioned - whether you periodically measure the height of the cutting blade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here