Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckyinrichmond

tackle henbit in fall or spring?

beckyinrichmond
10 years ago

I renovated the yard this fall and grass (fescue) is growing well. So is henbit. I have some Weed B Gone and I've mowed four times so I could use it. However it says to use it only once a year. If I use it now, there might be other weeds in the spring that haven't come up yet and I won't be able to use the Weed B Gone then. Is it better to get rid of the weeds now so the grass can flourish better while it's getting established or should I wait until spring? I'm going to use Weed B Gone Chickweed Clover & Oxalis on some violets. Apparently there aren't limitations on how often you can use that. But it doesn't look like that will do anything to henbit. What do you recommend?

Comments (5)

• gsweater
    10 years ago

I've never heard that Weed B Gon can be used only 1x per year. That's not on the label of any of my bottles and isn't on the published label either. I've used it several times each year with no adverse effect, but as a spot spray. What type are you using? Even the crabgrass version can be used 2x a year. Here's the label info:

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed B Gon product label

• beckyinrichmond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have Weed B Gon Weed Killer for Lawns Concentrate. And it says: "Do not apply more than 1.5 lb of MCPA per acre per year. Do not apply more than once per year at the Northern rate (8 fl oz treats 2,000 square feet) and do not apply more than twice per year at the Southern rate (8 fl oz treats 4,000 square feet) with a minimum pretreatment interval of 21 days." I have fescue, which is listed as a Northern grass, with instructions to use 2 fl oz per gallon of water.

I sprayed all my weeds yesterday with the Weed B Gon Chickweed, Clover & Oxalis. Maybe it will kill the henbit too even if it's not listed as a treatable weed on the label. I've done some more reading and apparently fall is the time to treat henbit.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

According to K-State Extension, where I volunteer, you tackle henbit and dandelions in the fall for the most reliable results. If you spray them in the spring when they're flowering, they are harder to control. This applies to all fall germinating "winter weeds".

• forsheems
    10 years ago

I have the same problem. Complete lawn renovation and now I have both chickweed and henbit coming up. I used 2-4D with Dicamba (can't remember which brand) and it is killing both very well with no visible affect on the fescue at all. Sprayed on Saturday and the weeds are already wilted.

• beckyinrichmond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yesterday was the best day of the week to do the spraying as it was enough days after and before mowings, no wind, and this week the temperatures are in the 60s and 70s so everything is still growing actively. Might not be this nice next week. I hadn't heard back from anyone by then so I decided to try the Weed B Gon Chickweed, Clover, Oxalis as I needed that to address the violets and chickweed and it might work on henbit too. The other Weed B Gon covers more kinds of weeds but doesn't kill violets as well and the label says not to use it more than once a year. So I assume it might be more stressful on new grass as well. The Weed B Gon CCO has started wilting the weeds, including the henbit, and the grass looks okay so far. I mixed it at the recommended rate in a tank sprayer but just spot sprayed the weeds. The label says one gallon mixed up will cover 500 square feet. I used about 3 gallons over 7500 square feet. Once the weeds were wet I moved on and that's all I needed to get over the yard. Not all parts needed spraying.