Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How late can I reseed?

Posted by saltysam1964 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 16:51

We are in Virginia Beach and we recieved about 10 inches of rain from Sandy from 10/28 - 10/30. I aerated and completly reseeded with Kentucky Fescue 31 at a rate of 8#/1000 square ft on 10/22. I am afraid that most of my seed has been washed away. Can I reseed again, now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How late can I reseed?

Yes.

If the lawn is for ornamental purposes (Non foraging),I wouldn't use Kentucky 31. It's about the worst tall fescue cultivar there is. Better to use anything else.

o

If you are very lucky, all of your seed washed away. KF 31 is considered a weed by most of the lawn community.

When do you start thinking about frost coming? If you are in an area that does not freeze for several weeks, you might get a few fescue seeds to sprout.

Next season, tackle that job in late August, not October.

o

Why not try dormant seeding. Wait til winter sets in where there is little chance seed will germinate. Works best if you seed right before there's snow in the forecast.

In spring it will germinate when conditions are right. Do not use a pre- m in spring.

o

Hogan,

Tell me more about the dormant seeding option. I live 25 miles inland in eastern MA. I had overseeded some yellowish patches that my lawn company had failed to acknowledge, only to find out that it was invasive bent grass! So - I killed all the bent grass (and new seeds) with Round-Up, hoping to retry towards the end of October. Sandy came along - and now -though I have the area raked and prepped, the forecast changed and predicted frost tomorrow night. What would you do? How does one work seed into soil in winter? Part of the area is on a slope,to boot.

o

Probably the best thing to do now is to get your lawn core aerated and then put down some grass seed. If the areas are small, you may be able to poke your own holes in the ground using whatever you have available. If all goes according to plan, the seed will fall into the holes and germinate in the spring. If you just put down seed on a slope, the seed will likely wash to the bottom. In the spring, once you get germination, you'll need to keep the grass watered during hot dry spells. Also, don't put down any fertilizer with weed killer or weed preventer in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here