Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rphudes

Is it to late to Seed KBG

rphudes
10 years ago

Had a problem with a rather large area of my side yard....It did not germinate. Can I still slice in some KBG? Its been 33 days and nothing.

Moonlight, midnight and blueberry

Comments (7)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Why did the 33-day old grass not come in? Did you water it briefly morning, noon, and night? Had you applied any herbicide prior to seeding? if so, what and when?

• rphudes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lawn care service slice seeded the area and dropped starter fertilizer Aug 30, I applied tancity the next day. watered twice a day until Sep 30....then once a day from then on. Certainty was applied in summer (Jul and early Aug) to control Poa Triv.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Something is definitely wrong.
    Are you sure the lawn company used seed? Something should have come up.
    Was grass growing there before you tried this?
    Is the area shady?
    Can you post a picture of the area?

• rphudes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The lawn company was extremely incompetent. they only slice seeded certain areas and broadcasted others.

• rphudes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SO the big question is.... is there time left in the season to slice seed this area again? the area does get a lot of shade.

• rphudes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

additionally, here is an area on the other side of the tree that keeps washing out when it rains.

I really would like to get some grass growing in theses places.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I see you posted again hoping someone would reply. I got started on your issue and then dropped the ball. Been busy with other hobbies.

KBG is inappropriate for your shady area. You should seed with a blend of KBG, fine fescue, and probably turf-type tall fescue. The KBG and the TTTF will work in the sun and where there is not really enough shade to kill it out. The fine fescue will grow in the shade. The mix of texture will not be perfect, but unless you can raise the canopy of your tree and let in some light, you are going to have issues. That same blend should help over the washout area, too.

When you water, after you finally get grass growing, you must water deeply and infrequently. I suspect you are watering briefly several times per week. If you continue doing that, the grass will tend to wash out because the roots will be too shallow to hold the soil down. This time of year you should be watering once per month in most of the country. By watering deeply once per month, the grass roots will be forced to grow longer/deeper to get to the moisture. Then when it rains, the grass cannot wash out. Also it really helps to helps to have taller grass in your washout area. Taller grass grows deeper roots and has physical resistance to the flow of water over top. It slows the water down. I used to have an area that formed a river over my property. By letting the grass grow up higher than the "river," the river never forms anymore. Now it is more like a brook or a weak creek.

Anyway, yes it is too late to seed KBG. It is not too late for a fast growing rye if you just want something to grow right now. Then you can deal with the blend issue next fall.

And I think the yard guys tore up your lawn and did not apply any seed at all. I don't care what kind of seed it was, something should have germinated. You did everything right.