Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownivy_gw

New celebration Bermuda sod - start up questions

brownivy
10 years ago

I am located in Austin, TX, zone 8b. Approx 4600 sq. ft. of celebration bermuda sod was installed Sept 25 and I have a few questions. I've read the bible and am planning to follow it. Unclear on a few start up items given the date of my install...

Should I apply a starter fertilizer (10-10-10 or 10-20-10) this late in the season?

Brown patches are appearing in approx 10-15% of the lawn. We've been buried in rain since installation...go figure after 5 years of drought...wondering if this is possibly fungus due to high water levels? I have not used my irrigation system daily because of rains.

Nutsedge is appearing (was in my old lawn too). Is it safe to treat with image at this point?

Should I apply a pre-emergent for winter weeds now?

Will attempt to upload pics of brown patch and nutsedge as a response to this post. Hoping to tap into some of the pros here in the forum.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• brownivy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brown patches visible.

• brownivy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe this is nutsedge. If so, ok to treat with image now?

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Was the sod on the pallet longer than 24 hours? It appears that most of your brown spots are at the end or edge of the sod pieces. I suspect some of the sod dried out on the pallet before being laid down and that's what you're seeing. Those pieces are more likely to be dormant than dead.

Yes it seems late in the season, but this is Texas. Go for the started and 10-10-10 not 10-20-10.

What kind of preemergent herbicide were you considering using? This entire lawn will go dormant in a few weeks. Once it does it is simple to find the weeds - they will be the green things. And once the bermuda is dormant you can spray anything on it with no harm to the bermuda. In my personal opinion, the whole idea of preemergent herbicide is being over sold. If you are watering properly, mowing at the right height, and fertilizing on schedule, you should not have to worry about most weeds.

Nutsedge is not most weeds. For the nutsedge, go ahead and spray now. I would mask off the surrounding lawn grass with paper and/or cardboard to keep the over spray to a minimum. Because bermuda is such a tenacious plant, it can tolerate a considerable amount of tough love in spraying herbicides. If you happen to spot spray a weed and the spray kills a little bit of bermuda, the bermuda will recover quickly.

Celebration may be mowed at 0.5 to 1.5 inches for best appearance. One inch is a happy medium. Generally that is the lowest setting on a rotary mower. Do you have any problems mowing that low? If you are currently mowing much higher than that, the first time you mow it to 1 inch can look devastating. Again, it is bermuda and will recover quickly.

Just out of curiosity, why did you pick Celebration and not Tif 419 sod? Do you have shade in the area?

In addition to following the Bermuda Bible, I want to encourage you to make at least one of your fertilizer apps with organic fertilizer. The reason is to keep your soil microbes healthy as possible with all the chemical ferts.

• brownivy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@dchall_san_antonio - thanks so much for the reply. The sod shouldn't have been on the pallet for longer than 24-30 hours. We had to wait between rains that were ~9 days apart. The first storm was heavy so the sod farm in Houston couldn't cut. I was told it was cut in the afternoon and delivered the next morning to ATX. It was installed immediately all in one day.

The brown spots actually run from one piece to another, around edges as well as across the center of pieces which is why I am concerned about a fungus or disease. We had more rain this evening so will back off watering some more as the soil is super wet. It definitely looks dormant (brown) in spots, not dead (gray).

I haven't researched pre-emergents yet. There are really no weeds in the lawn other than the nutsedge, so was hoping to get ahead of the winter ones. I will definitely be able to spray once its all dormant. If there is a pre-emergent that is recommended, I am open to any suggestions.

The good news is that it rooted in really well and fast. I can't find a spot that can be picked up anywhere. I was rolled twice the day it was installed and again the next day.

It's only been mowed once by my yard crew, prob at 1.5". I am planning to take that over in the spring and will go as low as I can. I am certain I am going to have a leveling project as well. There are plenty of small indentations I would like to address. It wasn't dragged, only raked before the sod was installed.

It was a toss up between tif and celebration. I liked the color of celebration a bit more and there is a bit of shade on either side, although one edge/side gets morning to mid afternoon sun, and the other gets mid morning to late afternoon sun.

Would love to be able to make one fertilizer application organic. What's the best in your view? I've been using liquid seaweed on my garden beds and have no idea if that would advisable for the lawn. Compost tea is also an option in Austin, especially in the spring. All of the local nurseries have it available for those of us who haven't made our own.

Thanks again!

• Bill201
    9 years ago

I had a landscape install 15 pallets of celebration in my front and back yard. He did a half a** job and im wondering can i roll it out now, after two weeks of it being down? The edges are exposed on most of the joints; either turned up or by a gap.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

brownivy, I realize it's late to answer you but here goes...

My favorite organic fertilizer for now is alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). Get it at a local feed store. Apply at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet.

I don't like preemergents. I prefer to grow dense grass and not water too frequently.

Bill201,
    Yes you can roll it now, but unless you have a huge lawn, just walk over it. Your weight on your feet would be the same as the properly adjusted roller. Try to nudge the edges in so they are flat. For the gaps fill with sand.

• mark_mcmarketing
    7 years ago

A local nursery here Midland, TX quoted me a price for celebration Bermuda at $7 a square foot, installed. Should I place my order, or call the cops?

• reeljake
    7 years ago

My math is a little bit rusty, but I paid 108 per pallet for celebration plus 75 for delivery & installed myself. Does that help?

• bryantom
    7 years ago

call the cops. I paid 135 a pallet installed. thats 450 sqft

• mmsssmyth
    7 years ago

What is the going price in Midland TX for sod? We will install it ourselves because I'm seeing 4 to 450 a pallet not installed!!! I will even drive to Lubbock or San Angelo to pick it up and get it cheaper?

• User
    7 years ago

I'm north of Dallas and just got mine at $165 a pallet pallet plus $175 deliver. No installation.

• bryantom
    7 years ago

Im in central texas and picked up a pallet last week for 145 no delivery. that was from King Ranch