Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoysiasod

Bad hare day (rabbits' effect on lawn)

ZoysiaSod
11 years ago

You may have heard me tell IowaRiver that I have some rabbits--actually, hares I think--that occasionally leave a half-square-foot patch of my backyard Bluegrass lawn bare.

The hares seem to sit on the same small patch day after day (and possibly munch on the patch too) until they leave the lawn bare at that spot. Then they'll go onto another spot, sit and lie on the new spot for a few days and leave a bare patch there too--not completely dirt bare; a little thatch is always left. One half-square-foot bare patch after another after another has increased the amount of clover I have and decreased the amount of bluegrass. Clover and other weeds usually take over the bare patches.

The zoysia I have doesn't seem to be affected nearly as much as the Kentucky bluegrass. Don't know if it's because the zoysia is tougher or if the rabbits prefer lying down on bluegrass.

Any ideas on how to dissuade the hares/rabbits from tearing up the bluegrass? I usually chase them away or throw rocks to chase them off.

I've been considering the x10.com camera but haven't done much research on cameras yet. With a camera at least I can chase them off before much damage has been done. Some cameras will even send an email alert with a photo when they detect motion.

Comments (9)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Any camera will send email if you use the (free) YawCam software. I have it connected to a USB "webcam" camera I got free in a close out many years ago. YawCam senses motion, sends email, and stores photos in my Dropbox as a backup to the email.

There is a motion sensing sprinkler called a Scarecrow. Look it up on YouTube. Seems pretty effective at scaring animals away.

If you want to dissuade them and not kill the hares, you could shoot them with those orange/yellow/green plastic Air Soft pellets about half the size of a pea. Worst thing that could happen is you put their eye out.

I suspect the KBG tastes better to the hares. If you planted something that tasted even better, they would go to that first. Don't know what that is, but hopefully it is cheaper than KBG and the subsequent weed damage control.

• ZoysiaSod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I had considered a motion-activated sprinkler last year, but you can't use them in the Fall or early Spring because of the chance of frost. For example, the Scarecrow maker's web site at
    http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/

says:

"To prevent damage from freezing water, take the ScareCrow inside and remove the battery before the first winter frost. Failure to do so may cause some parts to break as ice expands inside."

We had our first frost to speak of this morning (Oct 8) at about 3 AM.

My other concern with the Scarecrow is its web site says that large animals can be detected at 30 feet away but "some small animals" may not be seen at even 20 feet away. Unfortunately, Contech, the maker, doesn't say which small animals are too small to be seen at even the closer range, but rabbits are probably in that category.

Hares and rabbits are smaller than deer, cats, and racoons, which are the animals some YouTube videos showed being repelled by the Scarecrow. I didn't see one video showing the Scarecrow scaring off rabbits.

The web site has a chart showing that small animals need to get within 10 feet, which means for me buying 3 or 4 Scarecrows to protect my patch of bluegrass. So that would be $300 or $400 for something that can't be used after October 8 or during the early Spring, both times of frost around here.

Also my neighbor's dogs on the other side of our shared fence might take offense if they get hit by water all the time.

But it was interesting reading about the Scarecrow. Thanks. It seems to be better than the motion-activated sprinkler I read about last year.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Cameras are looking better and better.

• ZoysiaSod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last year I spent $30 for a bottle of fox urine granules called "Shake-Away." According to the label, the fox urine granules are suppose to repel small animals like rabbits, gophers, groundhogs, possums, porcupines, and woodchucks.

I poured granules all over my lawn. It worked for only about 3 days. After the third day, the hares/rabbits looked at me funny. By funny, I mean inquisitively and skeptically like they were thinking to themselves could that urine be coming from this slow human, and not a fox. I'm a fast runner but obviously no match for a fox or rabbit - LOL.

It was funny to see the rabbits look at me very wide-eyed, wondering...wondering.

Well, we have some smart hares/rabbits around here because after the third day, they were back to lying down on my nice bluegrass, reclining without a fox worry in the world LOL.

Ever since then, I've been skeptical about the claims made by animal repellant products.

• ZoysiaSod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dchall_san_antonio wrote:
    > I suspect the KBG tastes better to the hares. If you planted something that tasted even better, they would go to that first. Don't know what that is, but hopefully it is cheaper than KBG and the subsequent weed damage control.

Not sure but I think most of the damage comes from the hares/rabbits simply lying down on the patch of grass, not from them munching on it. They have a habit of languorously reclining with their bellies on the same half-square-foot patch of grass day after day. They'll come back to the same spot everyday to lie down until finally only thatch is left after a few days. Don't know if they destroy the grass purposefully because they prefer the cooler ground, but after a few days of returning to the same spot and destroying the spot, they'll then go onto a new spot and make a bare spot there, leaving only thatch behind each time, no grass.

And I'm not even talking about the damage they can do when they want to build a small hidden den for babies. That's a whole other story--a wholly different kind of damage to the grass. Even some soil gets excavated in that situation.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Awwww, they sound adorable!

• ZoysiaSod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I love rabbits. They're so cute. Never did chase them away until I noticed the damage they do to grass. My favorite song growing up was "Here comes Peter CottonTail, up and down the bunny trail..." Fantastic song - Lol

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Put on an apron and wave it at them as you run around yelling, "Shoo! Shoo!"

• ZoysiaSod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hahaha. I like your sense of humor :-)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor