Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass from scratch for year round

Posted by Sndrolah North Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 19:19

I have heard two different way's to plant, so let me start from the beginning.
I am starting from scratch in an all sand lot that not long ago was occupied by horses. 1.75 acres. All I want is a grass durable enough, year round. I will eventually bring back one horse only. I want to look out my window to see a beautiful lawn.
I was told Pensacola Bahia mixed with winter rye and I will have it reproduce thru the next year. I have a tractor coming in so need some serious advice quickly. Then told Pensacola Bahia and Tiff 44..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass from scratch for year round

Bahia grass is very good. Plant that if you want durablility, and winter rye will give you green in winter.
Bahia doesn't like to be cut real short, but I would seed the Bahia in May, not now.
Seed your rye now, then Bahia in May.
Bahia isn't a "show" grass, but under your conditions, it will give you what you want.

o

I believe one horse on 1.75 acres is enough horse to keep you in sand year round.

o

So I am not able to mix Pensacola Bahia, with the winter Rye and have it come up in the spring? Will the seeds not germinate in spring? Plus I have cross fencing in order to Alternate my horse in. There is no way to seed it once with a mixture?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here