Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rokal_gw

Seeding Temporary Lawn Before Winter

rokal
10 years ago

I am re-grading my yard and want to seed KGB but I realize it is way too late in the year. Rather than deal with a muddy yard until spring, can I seed annual rye or another temp seed until spring? I guess I could buy some cheap perennial rye and seed now and then apply round up in spring before reseeding with KBG.

However, I am reluctant to use round up and I would rather dormant seed in December.

Comments (4)

• goren
    10 years ago

Here it is mid October....temperatures are what usually are at this time of year...it could get cold...real cold...or it could warm up....that'd be nice.

But it is still too cold for seed to ever hope to germinate and gain strength in the time before the hard frost is upon us.
    Remember....its the soil temperature that matters...not the air temperature.
    It can be an iffy situation in zone 7....if the ground temperature can hold on above 50ð for a couple of weeks....maybe...it can be trusted to grow sufficient to ward off mud....but its chancy.
    Better to wait until spring.

If you walk the ground regularly, you might think to put down some straw...which will avoid some mud...and keep the ground's temperature up.....a bit.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Start now to set your hopes very low for the lawn next year. When you seed KBG in the spring, the first thing to come up will be crabgrass. It will seem like f-o-r-e-v-e-r before the KBG starts to germinate. By the time the KBG comes in, 3-4 weeks later, the crabgrass will almost be ready to mow. With that in mind, you may as well write off the 2014 grass season and just manage the weeds until August. Then you can kill off the crabgrass and redo the entire lawn with KBG.

• rokal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Has anyone used an annual grass for quick germination as a temporary ground cover?

If I can get something green growing now, I can dormant seed in December and use tenacity or tupersan to control crabgrass in spring while the kgb germinates.

I think the tenacity may even kill off the annual grass.

• jmcphail
    10 years ago

I have read something somewhere about it being very hard to get a good kill with annual rye, and that it is better to use Perennial Rye.