Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alternatives to grass for lawn!!

Posted by miamisunray 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 19:47

Hello..

I have a 1/4 acre property in North Miami and my brother and I were wondering.... Why a green lawn??

I have seen some gorgeous small purple flowers attached to some weeds.. and some white as well.. I can only imagine how amazing it would be to have an entire lawn covered with one or more colorful 'weeds'... The creeping weed-type grass here is very invasive anyway... and before another local told me that . "no, that is your grass'" I had pulled out dozens of yards of the stuff!!

Any ideas out there?? Why should a lawn have green grass in it anyway?? Nice, soft, flowering, colorful weeds says I !! A blanket of color would look awesome...

thanks for any help,

Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alternatives to grass for lawn!!

White clover and strawberry clover are probably the most popular lawn alternatives.

pros:
--nitrogen fixation
--spreads to form thick canopy -> weed suppression
--very green and stays that way under a wider range of conditions than grass

cons:
--poor wear tolerance (should be mixed with grass if there will be wear)
--flowers attract bees (or can be seen as a pro by nature lovers)
--specific to your requirements, flowers aren't particularly attractive--most people mow low and frequently enough to minimize flowering--but that's in the eye of the beholder

o

Your neighbors will hate you. You will probably be very sorry. Those flowers are seasonal and only last a short time. Seriously, it will look like you have a lawn made of 100% weeds.

o

Nah, I've seen some beautiful clover lawns. Clover mixed properly into grass and mowed regularly looks very nice.

o

mulchmamma have you changed your mind?

o

When all you have is clover with even coverage, it looks amazing - plush! The problem is when you have grass and clumps of clover. Mow every other week at your mower's highest setting. Let the bees have all the pollen and nectar they want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here