Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psulion01

What kind of grass is this?

psulion01
9 years ago

I'm in northern NJ, and have mostly a blend of KBG and tall fescue in my yard. However, there are a few patches (a few feet across) with this stuff growing. When cut low it's harder to notice, but as the grass gets longer this stuff really stands out. It seems straw-like, grows long but kind of close to the ground, and pulls out pretty easily if you grab it. It's green for the most part so part of me doesn't want to mess with it, but it drives ME crazy when I see the patches of it, rather than a nice consistent lawn. I did a search a whole back and thought I had it identified as Nimblewill, but I'm looking for other opinions.

Once identified, perhaps some suggestions can be made as to what to do. Pull it, round-up, leave it be?

Thanks in advance. If more pictures are needed I'm happy to post.

Comments (11)

• psulion01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more photo in case it helps...

• striper
    9 years ago

Bermuda

• aluvaboy
    9 years ago

Disagree. Bermuda will not survive the harsh Northern NJ winter - IMHO.

• psulion01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any other thoughts on how best to identify, or should I just bring to tr local garden center? Another pic from further away. The stuff I'm trying to get rid of seems browned out, more so than the KBG and Fescue. It grows weird too...it's long, but creeping close to the ground, and pulls out very easily. Very frustrating because 95% of the lawn looks great and then these few spots, which I can't seem to ignore or not see, spoil it.

Thanks!

• californiagirl
    9 years ago

Nimblewill. Native, warm season weed grass. Perennial. Will look like it dies in the fall but will be back next year, worse.

Get Tenacity (mesotrione) to spray on it quick! Get a tank sprayer. You want to treat it as it goes dormant and prevent it from coming back late next spring. It may take multiple treatments.

Don't ask how I know all this, but count yourself fortunate that Tenacity is available.

• psulion01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Californiagirl,

Thanks...the more I looked, the more I felt it was Nimblewill. My fear is that is just keeps spreading across the lawn which I've spent 2-3 seasons rehabbing from the previous owner.

The tenacity isn't cheap -- does it go a long way? Should I be looking to do anything else at this point? I've been pulling clumps out bit I'm guessing that's not going to help. Temps here i'have been 50s-70s or so. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Should I wait until the spring to reseed the treated areas, or do it later, say by early November? Lastly, what's the story with the tank spreader? Not familiar with that vs other options.

Thanks!!

• californiagirl
    9 years ago

PSU,

Sorry I forgot to recheck this thread.

Yes, Tenacity is expensive, but goes a long way and apparently lasts several years in the 8 oz. (I think) bottle. It works well on a range of weeds, but save it for when you need it. You can get it at landscape/golf course supply places or order online. Mesotrione is the only selective herbicide for nimblewill, as in, bleach out and kill nimblewill but leave your KBG and fescue alive (fescue may whiten some). The white weeds are kind of strange looking.

You can buy a small gallon plastic tank sprayer at hardware, big box and tool specialty stores for about $10. Cannot remember how much Tenacity per gallon recommended for spot spraying, but I remember it was not quite strong enough, so increased the herbicide slightly on later treatments. I was doing this in July and early August in preparation for a complete overseed.

Scotts has started to put granular mesotrione in its fertilizer instead of Tupersan/siduron. Mesotrione is somewhat effective as a pre-emergent, apparently, but it will also prevent grass seed from germinating so be careful if you are overseeding. I used Tenacity to spot treat nimblewill this summer, but put down starter fert with siduron when I overseeded in late August. Siduron is also pricey, but allows fescue and KBG to germinate.

I spot a little bit of nimblewill that I missed here and there, but I will be all over it again with Tenacity next spring as it comes out of dormancy. Message boards suggest it can take a few years to completely eradicate. It will out-compete cool season grasses in the height of summer and really spread fast.

• californiagirl
    9 years ago

Forgot that you will need to add a surfactant to help the herbicide stick. If you order the Tenacity online you can add that, too. Otherwise a gardening store will carry surfactants.

Only spray with no wind and avoid overspraying desirable plants. I got some bleaching on parts of a yew and a pine, so they must be sensitive.

• psulion01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great...thanks for the info. I was planning on picking up the Tenacity and the Bonide Turbo from amazon unless you can suggest otherwise.

Last question -- is now the time to treat the Nimblewill, or am I wasting my time and money if it's already going dormant?

Thanks again for the info...much appreciated!

• psulion01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great...thanks for the info. I was planning on picking up the Tenacity and the Bonide Turbo from amazon unless you can suggest otherwise.

Last question -- is now the time to treat the Nimblewill, or am I wasting my time and money if it's already going dormant?

Thanks again for the info...much appreciated!

• californiagirl
    9 years ago

If it is still green, you can zap it so you have a chance at killing the roots. Some of my little escaped bits are still sort of green (no frost hit yet). Yellow is dormant and apparently too late.

I don't think the granular preemergent effect will prevent plants from coming out of dormancy in late spring, so watch where the yellow patches are early next year and zap it again as it greens up. Then stay on it because as you get to high summer, when cool season grass slows down, nimblewill will spread if you don't stop it. Boy, will it spread.

There is a limit to how much Tenacity you want to put down yearly on your turf, so unless your infestation is extensive, it is safer to use it as a spot treatment, not spray your whole lawn with it multiple times. I ended up treating most spots three times over a five week period and still missed a few sneaky plants. I am hoping that catching it earlier next year will make it easier to kill. Nimblewill was one tough weed in July.