Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jchansky

Fescue Is 2 Weeks old/Is this Normal

jchansky
11 years ago

Hello I planted Penningtons 20/lb of tall fescue/smart seed.I started out by killing off all the weeds in my back yard using round up a few weeks before. I then roto tilled my whole back yard to loosen up the soil. The grass seed was planted on september 23 and the first week I waterted 3 times a day for about 10 minutes. In week 2 I watered 2 times a day for 15 minutes. This is my first time growing grass from seed and i dont know whats normal. There are bare patches and I dont know if it will fill in on its own or if i need to fill in those patches. If I do need to fill in patches should I do it now or wait till the spring. I would appreciate any tips or advice you may have. Below is a link to a video of my back yard.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu7mr3_fescue_lifestyle

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of My FESCUE

Comments (9)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Fescue is not the kind of grass that spreads to form a carpet. Each plant is its own plant. The plant will get bigger but won't do what you want.

Fill the bare spots now. If you wait and have bare spots in the spring, they will fill with crabgrass instead of fescue.

In a year you can come back and we'll tell you why your lawn is bumpy (hint: it has to do with rototilling).

• jchansky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another Image

• tiemco
    11 years ago

No, that isn't normal. It should be fairly even, not patchy. Did you have heavy rains that moved your seeds around?

• kidhorn
    11 years ago

My guess is your tilling left some spots higher than others and the seed settled into the lower spots.

Next time, instead of tilling, core aerate.

In spots where the grass is thin, but it's there, it will likely fill in by spring. Each of the thin blades that survive to spring will mature into several much ticker blades. If you have areas that are say a couple of inches or more in diameter and no grass, you should put down seed now and lightly cover with dirt.

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

If you have enough money to afford the water bill for fescue in GA, why not just hire someone to do it for you?

• jchansky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well i appreciate all the information.

The only reason I roto tilled is because i read it was the best thing to do.
    Also i went fecue because i read that i was actually a water saver. I keep
    reading opposing views on what to do when growing grass.

How do i know what advice to go with?

• kidhorn
    11 years ago

You ask questions and try different things. You did what you thought was best. It's not the end of the world.

Whenever I've seeded a large area like that, I always had to follow it up the next year. No matter what, you won't get a perfect lawn in a few weeks when starting from scratch.

I think the best thing to do now is put down seed in the particularly bad spots so you'll have less to do next year.

Fescue will grow fine in Georgia. While many prefer warm season grasses, fescue isn't a terrible choice.

• glenforest
    11 years ago

How did you spread the seed? Did you use a spreader or spread it by hand?

• jchansky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used both a spreader and hand. I rented a spreader and got frustersted using it so i just went to hand. I think the one i rented was broken.