Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Test Results

Posted by soup006 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 23:22

My soil test results are below. I realize it is the Fall and I definitely don't want to fertilize my centipede now, but my soil has quite high pH for centipede. Should I start amending that now? What about any of the other minerals? Just wait for all of it in the Spring?

pH 7.1 Apply 1.1 lbs sulfur/1000 sq ft
Organic Matter 1.6% Sufficient organic matter present
Phosphorus 0.6 lbs/1000 sq ft Apply 1 lb/1000 sq ft
Potassium 1.2 lbs/1000 sq ft Apply 2 lbs/1000 sq ft
Calcium 30.4 lbs/1000 sq ft Apply 34 lbs gypsum/1000 sq ft-See Comments
CEC = 4.1
Magnesium 3.6 lbs/1000 sq ft

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Test Results

Here's what I know about centipede. It likes acidic soils with low fertility. From your CEC I can tell you have sandy soil. The most nitrogen you should put down is two pounds per 1000 per year. Usually once in the spring, and once in the summer. Your pH is high for centipede, and this can pose a problem as iron is less available at higher pH's and centipede suffers in low iron environments. Adding sulfur is supposed to lower pH, but surface applied sulfur is much less effective than if you mixed it into the soil, but I would still apply it. That pH will fall over time due to acid rain, but if you want to help it along topdressing with peat moss will help, and any fertilizers you use should be acidifying. Ammonium sulfate is the most acidifying, followed by ammonium nitrate and urea. I would add amendments now, but half the amounts recommended since it is later in the season. I would also add an iron product like Moss out, iron sulfate, or Ironite. That soil test is somewhat incomplete. Next time I would use Logan Labs' basic soil test ($20).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here