Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claga_gw

Jonathan Greene Organic Fertilizers ?? Pro's and Con's

claga
9 years ago

Hi,
Has anyone used Jonathan Greene organic feritilizers/
I was wondering if you would recommend them, what are their pro's and con's?
I haven't been able to find on line what they or made of or the ratio's of the ingredients.

Comments (7)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

I've used MAG-I-CAL Calcium and their Organic Weed Control, which is just Corn Gluten Meal. Both are nice products because they have a very niche purpose. Their Corn Gluten Meal is also Iowa State Certified concentration, which is important when you are using this as a weed control.

As far as their other organic fertilizers, such as Love Your Lawn. They seem decent, but I don't like how they won't disclose the exact contents of the product, but my main issue is price. Soybean mean is just such a better bang for your buck.

• BoatDrinksq5
    9 years ago

I think the common response from most people will be that for organic fertiliizing - going straight to the source is the most effective for price.

So straight soybean meal, cracked corn, alfalfa, coffee grounds, sawdust, etc.... gives a good $/(lb of N) value. Often with traces or more of P and K.

Milorganite helps with iron and another good source of N / organicmatter.

• maplerbirch
    9 years ago

Any business that is not open and upfront with its product is not worth doing business with.
    It seems though, that if there is product on the shelves of your local store, ingredients should be listed on the bag.
    Isn't that the law? :)

• BoatDrinksq5
    9 years ago

Their 8-3-1 has some products noted on their site.

"Exciting new formula for organic lawn customers that contains Soybean, Feather, Bone, and Blood meals, Amino acids and Humic Acid. "

so interesting/good mix... good variety. But for me it would have to come down to value. It isn't tough to pickup a bag of bone/blood meal at Menards to add to your bag of soybean meal. Or jsut add Milorganite to Soybean. Humic acid powder, sugar, and Kelp Powder can also be added to your fert mix also if you want to get cute.

• BoatDrinksq5
    9 years ago

Oh just found their pricing.... 65$ for 41lbs... thats 180$ to fertilize 1lb of N....for my 9k lawn.

Versus 5bags of Milo....at 9-7$ each..... so 40$

That gives me plenty of money to buy some Humic and Kelp powder for giggles.

Soybean meal would be even cheaper then the Milo or at least comparable.

This post was edited by BoatDrinksQ5 on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 10:41

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

@Maplebirch - There was a debate in the organic lawn care forums about whether Jonathan Green organics were actually organic. I knew they were, but wondered how they could get around actually listing the exact amounts of each ingredient, so I contacted them. Here was their response:

" Love Your Lawn does not have an NPK analysis even though it is called a fertilizer that is strictly for registration purposes. It really is a soil amendment and an organic product you can use anytime of the year in conjunction with any other lawn product."

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

JG is definitely on the organic side of the equation.

Mind you, blood meal isn't something I often recommend, but in small amounts there's absolutely no issue with it. Transfer to humic material will be pretty small.

>>Soybean meal would be even cheaper then the Milo or at least comparable.

Soy in my locale would be $38 to fertilize your 9 K with 1 pound nitrogen. I usually can't touch Milo for less than $13 a bag, so my price is much higher than yours.

>>It seems though, that if there is product on the shelves of your local store, ingredients should be listed on the bag.
    Isn't that the law? :)

Not necessarily. Organics don't have to disclose their sources any more than I have to disclose the source of scent in my soap. In my case "fragrance" is legal labeling to avoid disclosing proprietary mixes.

>>Their 8-3-1 has some products noted on their site.

Their 8-3-1 has a warped NPK if you've already optimally balanced your soil. That 3 is way out of line.

Grasses will require about 4-6 pounds of N per thousand per season to flourish. This would supply 1.5 pounds P to 2.25 pounds P per season, or 0.5 to 1.25 pounds too much, leading to an eventual excess of P after not too many years.

It's also one reason why I'm not completely thrilled with Milorganite's 5-2-0. Keep an eye on your P levels.