Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LIttle piles of dirt on the lawn.

Posted by stevecapecod cape cod (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 9:30

I've got little clumps(maybe teaspoon-sized) of dirt all over the lawn. They don't look like they've been torn up from above, rather they look like something's been burrowing up from beneath. Could this be a sign of winter moths leaving the soil and heading up into the trees? If so, what can I do about them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LIttle piles of dirt on the lawn.

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester, MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 11:43

To the best of my knowledge winter moths would be emerging under leaf piles at the base of trees. You would also see them flying and hanging off of the sides of house and trees with the warm spell we have had here in Massachusetts. As for the piles of dirt. Hmmmm. Nightcrawlers? This is from this forum in 2007. Maybe you can get some info from it. Good Luck.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/msg1113324628779.html

o

I don't think nightcrawlers come out in late November, do they? It's very strange. There's no tearing of the grass, which would be present if a skunk or squirrel were digging for grubs. It looks like someone beneath the ground has drilled upwards through the soil with a 1/2" bit.

o

I'm guessing worms. Is the soil warm enough that worms could be alive?

o

I think so. We haven't had a hard frost yet.
But wouldn't I see more worms during the summer months when the soil is much warmer? Maybe I should go out there at night with a flashlight and check.
Worms in the lawn is supposed to be a healthy sign.

o

I've got the same things in my yard. Do you have dogs?

o

It's just worms. They're just doing what they're supposed to do. Not to worry.

Al

o

I hope you're right. Why would worms come out now and not in the summer?

o

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester, MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 9:56

Greetings from Worcester. Go to the December 3rd online issue of the Boston Globe and search for (Mystery Pests).
There's a very informative article about the moths.

o

Yes, we've got the moths everywhere. I'm saving now for massive spraying next spring.
The article doesn't say the moths are responsible for the little piles of dirt on the lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here