Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last date to apply winterizer-SE VA zone7

Posted by dgillilan (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 9:31

Dear Forum,
I am unsure as to how late I can wait to apply my winterizer. I have tall fescue, pretty much a new lawn since about all my grass died in the 105 deg F heat this summer. I had a new irrigation system installed(winterized now) and seeded on Oct. 22, starter fertilizer then. I also applied my 2nd fertilization with Scott's fall lawn turf with Wintergard on Nov. 8. So I'm racing the temps and frosts to get these seedlings established prior to colder weather. The new grass is sprouting well, not up to 3 inches yet. Our present daytime temps are mid-60s, night into 30's. I have a bag of Lesco Fall/Winter 18-0-8 fertilizer yet to apply, with 5.8% slow release N. Wondering how late I can wait to apply this.
Thanks for advice,
Debra in SE Virginia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last date to apply winterizer-SE VA zone7

The temperatures where you live are still good for applying fertilizer to your lawn. You can apply fertilizer, technically until the lawn is dormant. However, since the Scotts Turf Builder Winterguard was applied to your lawn on Nov. 8th you will want to wait just a little while longer to apply your Lesco fertilizer because the Turf Builder Winterguard has a six week residual. So you have to wait about 4 more weeks before fertilizing again.

o
RE: Last date to apply winterizer-SE VA zone7

Thank you, nicolesmg, I agree and will wait a bit longer into December to apply my last fertilization. We are having very mild (up to 70 deg F today !!) temps and a good bit of sun, and I'm hoping mild weather continues all winter (after having five snows last year.)
Thanks, Debra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here