Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What weed is this?

Posted by trancefusion 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 10:13

This forked grassy weed has choked out most of the grass in my lawn this summer. It doesn't grow very fast vertically but it seems to spread aggressively and densely.

does anyone know what it is? I live in Western PA (Zone 6A).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What weed is this?

Pictures would help but it's probably crabgrass.

o

That is crabgrass!

o

There is a picture. I'm assuming you can't see it for some reason. Here's a direct link to the image:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/343/img0769s.jpg

I don't think it's crabgrass unless there are multiple types. The crabgrass that I am familiar with has wider blades then regular grass and grows out from a central point in big clumps, and is bright green. This is not like that - it is many individual center stalks growing very closely together. The blades are smaller then normal grass, and darker green in color.

o

I have done some more researching and I now believe this is Creeping Bentgrass.

o

Creeping bentgrass is second to crabgrass for cool season grass problems. Still, we hardly hear about it here.

If you decide you want to keep it, it makes an excellent turf. It likes to be mowed very low. One alternate lawn I've seen that worked very well was to seed Dutch white clover everywhere with the creeping bent. With that mix you will always have lush coverage, good weed protection, and never need to fertilize. You will also have lots of bees and you'll have grass stains if you skid around on the clover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here