Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaiqbashir_gw

Blade Problems of Bermuda Grass

shaiqbashir
9 years ago

hi

I have bermudagrass lawn. This is winter season here and the temperatures are from 22�C to 29�C. My lawn is green but in between there are random white patches where the grass is dry so is like greyish/whitish in color. I'm mowing every week. If i let the grass go longer for about 12-15 days, it becomes all green but on the next mowing, these patches again appear. I'm attaching pictures of the grass blades.

Can you help me in understanding what can be done to get a lush green grass all over.

Regards

Shaiq

Comments (10)

• shaiqbashir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another image.

• shaiqbashir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and here is another image

• neilaz
    9 years ago

If it is green before you mow and after you have 'white patches' I would guess the thatch has built up in those areas. You can mow it a little higher and you should have all green grass. Next year you will need to thin it out. Besides isn't going to be dormat any day now? You also use the word 'dry' may need to hand water.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

We almost never see fungal disease in bermuda on the forums, but you might be an exception. There are lesions on some of the blades and the black runners don't look good.

How often do you water and for how long? Also, where do you live?

You should be mowing 2x per week at a height of 1 inch plus or minus 1/2-inch.

• shaiqbashir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi

Thanks for ur response. I live in Qatar (Middle East). Im mowing once in a week for about an year now. Watering is done daily via sprinklers.

Regards

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Daily watering is the problem. Here is an outline showing how often you should be watering.

Temperature
    below 20 degrees C - water 2.5 cm, once per month
    20-25 degrees C - water 2.5 cm once every 3 weeks
    25-30 degrees C - water 2.5 cm once every 2 weeks
    30-35 degrees C - water 2.5 cm once every week
    hotter than 35 degrees C - water 2.5 cm once every 5 days

When you water, apply the entire 2.5 cm all at one time.

What is your soil like? Is it sandy such that water flows through and it dries quickly? If you have sandy soil that drains extremely fast, then you might need to modify that plan; however, you should NEVER need to water a lawn on a daily basis.

If people would water properly, forums like this would go away. Probably 80% of the issues (including disease and weeds) are due to watering too frequently.

• shaiqbashir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dear

Thanks a lot for this tremendous help. Yes I also support your view because I water it daily through my hunter sprinklers for about 25 minutes. The climate in my region has high humidity so during the night, lots of dew falls which I think should be well enough for watering.

Do you also think that I have the thatch problem? Im asking because I have never dethatched my lawn before.

• iriasj2009
    9 years ago

I bet you are mowing higher than recommended. What height are you mowing?
    Also, you are probably not mowing enough to keep ALL your bermuda green. Are you using a reel mower?
    With a rotary mower, you will get what your seeing unless you mow more often.
    Once you answer these questions, I'll be able to answer your question about thatch.

• shaiqbashir
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dear Friend

Im using a rotary mower and i sharpen the blade by file everytime i mow. I have seen that after mowing, around 1 to 1.5 inch of height of the blade remains.

Regards

Shaiq

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Shaiq, how would you describe your soil? Is it sandy or is it more solid than sand? Years ago we heard stories about the sand being very dusty when dry and then very thick and mucky when it rained. Later I learned that the sand had very high levels of magnesium in it. Magnesium can be a problem when it appears in very high levels; however, sometimes it can be "cured" by balancing it with other salts in the soil.

In the US we can buy cat food and tuna fish in short cans about 2.5 to 3 cm tall. What we suggest is for people to place several of those cans in the yard, turn on the sprinklers, and time how long it takes to fill all the cans. My sprinkler takes 8 full hours. My neighbor has a high flow sprinkler system and his takes only 20 minutes to fill the cans. Every system will be different, so you'll have to test yours.