Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do in Spring for Dormant Overseeding

Posted by jrodriguez90 No. Va (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 11:18

I am planning to do a dormant overseeding this winter and am waiting for the first real snow before I put the seed down. I'm wondering if I should plan to do anything different in the spring than I normally would. As of now, I am planning to topdress with compost in Mid/late -February when its still cold but only a few weeks from thawing and putting down a starter fertilizer and tupersan combo once I see the first blooms on the forsynthia. Obviously, I'll also be watering daily at that point, but I'm hoping mother nature will lend a hand and help me keep my water bill down. Any thoughts about anything else I should be doing? Is my timing right? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do in Spring for Dormant Overseeding

I'm not sure about your timing.

Mother Nature already put her compost out for most of the country. I think you should take Her lead.

Preemergent (assuming it works) will halt the emergence of your grass seed in the spring. You might have to wait until you have about 80% of your grass up before using it.

o

You probably won't need to water daily with a dormant seed due to high soil moisture levels and fequent spring rains. Of course if it is a dry spring then more irrigation will be necessary. You really just have to play it by ear and let nature determine your watering schedule. Putting compost down that early won't really hurt anything, but if the soil temps are low it won't do much until it warms up. Tupersan won't inhibit turfgrass germination unlike most preemergents, of course it is only effective against a few weeds, but I assume you are targeting crabgrass, which is what most people use it for when seeding turfgrass.

o

Thanks! Tiemco - exactly, in the spring its just the crabgrass and a few other weeds that I am concerned with. I used tupersan last year (I had seeded last fall, but felt the lawn was too new to use something harsher) and had good results. A few weeds popped up, but nothing that I couldn't get rid of by hand. I did get some Poa Annua last fall that was annoying, but this fall I put down a more robust pre-emergent that is labeled for it.

In terms of the compost there is no specific problem I am trying to remedy, I just like to add some compost to the soil every year. If it lies dormant for a few weeks thats not a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here