Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raking up acorns

Posted by shiane z7 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 30, 09 at 11:46

I have already picked up all the leaves using a blower and vac but the acorns are everywhere! My yard is full of acorns...and I have been raking them up but what a job! In order to get them up I must rake vigorously with lots of strength and really scraping with the rake into the grass since the acorns embed close to the ground beneath the grass as well as on top. HELP! I'm getting too old for this! LOL! I need a power rake but all of them are for dethatching, that is not what I need to do. What is the eaiest and best way to rake up acorns? Is there such a thing as a power rake to clean out acorns or other embedded debris?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raking up acorns

Can you just mulch mow them? If not, can you leave them there and mow the little trees in the spring?

o

" Is there such a thing as a power rake to clean out acorns or other embedded debris?"

Not that I know of. One tip is to try to rake the acorns frequently and before you do other yard work in the fall. They are more "on top" then and easier to rake and remove. Walking on them and driving lawn equip over them just make them, as you note, more imbedded.

Also, you might try different kinds of rakes to see which one works best for you. I have one of those black plastic "no clog" types and it seems to make the job easier then most of my other rakes. Metal leaf rakes are too weak in the spines to really grab them and straight garden rakes grab too much of the other stuff and so make pulling the acorns in hard.

Of course, if you do run across a some better options, be sure and post your discovery.

o

Thanks for the tips, someone ought to invent such a rake....there would be a huge market for it! LOL

o

Nut Wizard or generic pecan rake might work for you but it may destroy the pocketbook.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nut Wizard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here