Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overseeding

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 13:47

I have posted on this forum before as my thoughts on my lawn evolved. About 6 weeks ago I bought topsoil and spread it on my south facing clay and quartz slope. I fertilized and planted Scott's Southern mix. After the first planting was well up, I went back and seeded the areas that appeared to have been missed. On the third "reseeding" I finally ran out of grass seed.

I am very pleased with the results, and about a week ago made the first cut with the mower, when the new grass approached 4 to 6 inches tall.

We live about 25 miles east of downtown Raliegh. Will it hurt or help if I overseed sometime in late February or early March. This would give about two to three months before the extreme heat comes in. The grass is on a south facing slope.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overseeding

What is Scott's Southern Mix? Please look at the label on the bag and find the Guaranteed Analysis. What does that say?

Generally seeding in the spring is a bad idea. It is too early for seeding southern grasses and too late for seeding cool season grasses. The results is weeds.

o

We live in Raleigh NC and bought it at Lowes. I had the commercial name wrong, it is sold as "Scotts Southern Gold Tall Fescue Grass Seed 17440" and can be found by Googling. It is marketed as being developed at North Carolina State University.

While I am extremely satisfied so far, I learned something interesting. It does not seem to be in general circulation. I don't know if it is a new blend Scott's is testing or it something being discontinued. It is available at Lowes, but I could not find it by searching on the Scott's website.

o

Do you know what cultivars were used in that mix (it should be listed on the bag)?

o

I knew I had spread the last of the seed before I started this thread, but realized today, I had not cleaned up after myself as well as I should. Here is a picture of the label from the above grass seed

o

That's good fescue seed. It germinates fast.

It's best to seed in the fall, but spring can work also. I would fill in spots in early spring and see what happens. You may need to water a few times during the summer when it's really hot and dry.

o

I live in WNC, mountains, and my lawn is fairly steep.

Just signed up for this web site and realize I have been a complete idiot trying to grow grass for the last few years.
Made all the mistakes you describe and have a healthy area of crabcrass, weeds, and very little else.
STARTING OVER.... Is there anything I can do between now and spring to begin to recover my lawn?

o

lyndondb,
You should start a new thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here