Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toxsid

Need help with broken lawn

toxsid
10 years ago

I just bought a house in Orange, CA. It was a foreclosure and the previous owner decided it would be awesome not to water the grass and has caused bald patches and weeds (mostly crabgrass). The backyard has automatic sprinklers and I recently installed automatic sprinklers in the front yard, but I am having a few issues.

What type of grass do I have?

Currently my sprinklers are set to go off at 7am every other day, it has 6 valves to cycle through, each and 10 mins, it will repeat this at 9am. Am I watering too much or too little, what are your recommendations. Please see pictures for more details.

How can I get rid of the weeds (especially the crabgrass, I have tried this and didnt seem to work at all http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0421070-Weed-B-Gon-Crabgrass-24-Ounce/dp/B000GRNOS2). Is my grass doomed? Would reseeding and fertilizer fix this to overbear the crabgrass?

In the backyard, the grass is pretty much weed free and good looking however recently I noticed moss growing around the drainage area. How can I get rid of this and repair?

Thanks for all your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: View yard images here

Comment (1)