Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overseeding

Posted by newhomeowner-2009 Catskills (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 14:26

I have a weekend home in the Catskills, and we go up there every couple of weeks at this time of year. I'd like to overseed the lawn, but I don't go up often and I don't want to do it before the big snows come, which could happen pretty much without warning.

But here's what I don't understand: I've heard on this board (and in a post just up on overseeding) that it's best to wait until the first snow. But I don't get this. We can get a foot at a time, and it may not melt till April. Shouldn't this be done before the snows start?

I was thinking of overseeding this weekend, by the way, but don't want to do it if it's too early.

Any guidance would be appreciated by this newbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overseeding

You missed the window of opportunity in September for normal overseeding. At this point you are looking at dormant seeding. Have you searched that topic?

o

With a dormant overseed you want to put the seed down BEFORE the first big snowstorm. It is probably OK to do it in the Catskills now, but if the weather becomes mild or you get heavy rains then the seed can germinate prematurely, and or get washed away. If it was me I would wait till there is no chance of heavy rain. When you seed before a big snow event the snow will hold the seeds in place, then they will work into the soil as the snow melts.

o

Yes, I was thinking of dormant overseeding. We had a premature snowstorm about a month ago, but since then it has been mild - too mild, as a matter of fact. Tomorrow, for instance, rain is forecast and the high will be 43.

The ten day forecast shows weather in the fifties and rain. So from what you're saying, I think it may be too early for dormant overseeding.

o

That's exactly what I'm saying.

o

Yeah, looks like I may have to rush up there if a big snow is forecast.

o

However, now that I'm up here in the Catskills, I'm finding that the nights are going down into the 30s, and there is always a frost covering the grass every morning. So I wonder if now may be the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here