Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass seed in November?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 15:23

On Monday I could see from the forecast that we were to get lots of rain on my zone 5 lawn. So I decided to spread my remaining topsoil mixed with my remaining bag of grass seed. I know it is too cold to germinate this fall (now almost December). Can these seeds remain viable until next spring and the warmer weather?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass seed in November?

Yes as long as the seed doesn't germinate now, or rot. Both are highly unlikely this time of year in zone 5. Soil temperatures aren't likely to rise appreciably even with some mild days. The only thing I would worry about is washout with heavy rain on sloped areas, and redistribution of seeds in areas of heavy puddling. Traditionally, dormant seeding is done when the ground is almost frozen or frozen and a snow event is predicted. This will ensure that washout won't occur, and of course premature germination is impossible at those soil temps.

o
RE: Grass seed in November?

Thank you tiemco for the information. It was my mistake that I didnt first do a search on "dormant seeding". After lots of rain the past couple of days we got our first snow right after. Even if the seeds dont germinate next spring the very good top dressing soil will help with the existing lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here