Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uneven Tall fescue

Posted by tonyastro 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 15:47

Hi,

I planted some Marathon tall fescue and I'm getting uneven heights of grass. It's been 2 months since I planted the seeds and I want to mow it but some blades of grass are 11 inches some are less than 1 inch. I'm afraid I might kill the smaller ones. Does anyone know why this is and what can I do about it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uneven Tall fescue

Cut your grass at the highest setting for your mower. You're not supposed to cut more than 1/3 of the height of the grass at a time but I doubt your mower has a setting for 8 inches high. So do it as high as you can and then in a few days cut it again to the length you'll be maintaining. I don't know why some grass hasn't grown. Maybe it was later in germinating and then had higher grass all around it shading it. You should have been mowing as soon as the grass was one inch over your target height. I have new neighbors across the street who planted grass (overseeding) and they have been watering every day but they haven't cut it and it's all floppy. I don't want to offer them unsolicited advice, so I haven't said anything to them about it. But I have been wondering why on earth they're not cutting the grass.

o
RE: Uneven Tall fescue

Thanks beckybeck! I'll cut it. Maybe the tall grass it blocking either sun or water from the sprinklers from hitting the low grass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here