Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morpheuspa

Winterizer Down

I always forget how fast synthetics go down on the lawn, I had time to turn the compost bin (which has dropped from 150 degrees to 130 as the core ran out of oxygen and material).

That's 0.87 pounds of nitrogen per K, entirely sufficient for a lawn that's seen a grand total of well over 5 pounds of nitrogen per K this year, 4 of it in late summer and "fall," which was more like late summer this year.

We may get rain tomorrow evening as the temperature drops thirty degrees, or it may have to wait for Saturday. Either way, I'm fine.

Comments (9)

• forsheems
    9 years ago

I'm guessing I'll be another couple weeks down here. Still have decent top growth although it has slowed considerably. It was 70 here today. Just finished stealing........uh, blowing leaves from the neighbors lawn over to mine to be mulched on Saturday. The 10 day forecast starting tomorrow is 40's and 50's for highs with lows in the upper 20's to low 30's so the winterizer shouldn't be too far off. Typical North Carolina fall, shorts and t shirt today and wearing a coat tomorrow.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Down there, I'd say that you probably have some time yet. It's not like the weather isn't going to recover after this southern excursion of the polar vortex, it will.

It's just that by the time it recovers here, we're already at my normal winterizer date and the forecast says it's going to be normal temperatures for a while thereafter.

I lucked out. The "possibility of drizzle" turned into "modest rainfall." So my winterizer is getting watered in 1 day after I did it.

• timtsb
    9 years ago

I'm a stone's throw to the east, so I guess I should get mine down in the next few days? Funny how fast the weather can change...on Sunday I did my weekly mowing and I cut about an inch off the grass in the full sun areas.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems like the next few days will be correct.

Yesterday was 68 and sunny and I mowed a quarter inch off the front to neaten it up for winter. Today? There's a quarter inch of snow down and it's NOT melting.

• danielj_2009
    9 years ago

So do you think I have blown the winterizer window here in northern New Jersey? It looks like there will be in yet another cold blast coming down soon.do you think it best to just get it down now or wait for a short stretch of weather in the forties before the next cold blast?

• claga
    9 years ago

It sounds like I am in a similar position (lawn and soil conditions) as you were before you switched over to the organic fertilizer.
    Could you please list the program steps you use?
    i.e. Types (names) of orgnaic fertilizers you use and when to apply them.

Thanks.

Original Author
    9 years ago

>>So do you think I have blown the winterizer window here in northern New Jersey? It looks like there will be in yet another cold blast coming down soon.do you think it best to just get it down now or wait for a short stretch of weather in the forties before the next cold blast?

You're in the correct window. Although cold, the ground is not freezing, nor projected to freeze for some time yet. Soil temperatures are just dropping through the perfect winterizer temperatures now.

The reason I went on Wednesday? I hate the cold. I detest being cold. I loathe being out in the cold. It was sixty eight on Wednesday, so a beautiful day to winterize. And having it sit for a day or three in colder temperatures won't do a bit of harm.

Original Author
    9 years ago

>>It sounds like I am in a similar position (lawn and soil conditions) as you were before you switched over to the organic fertilizer.
    Could you please list the program steps you use?
    i.e. Types (names) of orgnaic fertilizers you use and when to apply them.

I don't actually have a program, every year is winging it although there are some tendencies. Fertilizer down on May 1-15, August 1, September 1, and October 1.

But I use nice brown bags of cheap grains from my local grain mill.

Every year, I chart what I used. I've attached a link to the 2013 chart (I haven't put up the 2014 one just yet). The link will give you both the lawn and garden additions as I selected by month off my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Organic Feedings

Original Author
    9 years ago

And with that, I just updated the 2014 feeding totals for the year, since the lawn and garden year is now over. They're pretty similar to 2013.

Probably. On the off chance that the weather is wrong and December is more like October, I might have to winterize a second time. But that's extremely unlikely.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 Organic Feedings