Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippyk_gw

Patchmaster Mulch -- Go Away!!!

kippyk
15 years ago

I live in Western PA, and I used Scott's Patchmaster on my lawn roughly one month ago. Being a first time homeowner in a new state/climate zone, I made the rookie error of patching my lawn too late in the season. To make matters worse, we were hit with unseasonably cold weather a few days after I put it down.

I wasn't expecting great results, but I figured what's the worst that'll happen? I thought I might just be wasting time and a bit of money. Not so -- it has been a month and it still looks like someone puked all over my lawn! How long does it take for the paper mulch to break down? I only applied a thin layer, less than the half-inch directed, and it has been given a substantial amount of water by me and the rain gods. What gives? I'm tempeted to buy a shop vac and suck it all up! Is there anything I can do to hasten its decomposition?

Thanks for any insight! Also, I plan to do right by my yard in the Spring and overseed it the proper way.

Comments (4)

• skizot
    15 years ago

Actually, leaving it there will allow the seed in it to sit over Winter, and it should start germinating in the Spring when the soil warms up enough.

• lawndivot12
    15 years ago

Kippyk
    Best thing you can do is leave this seed and the paper alone. You made one mistake, don't make another. The seed will lay there on the ground untill spring when the evening temperatures stay consistently above 55 degrees, then you will be seeing the seed germinating. Keep cool and wait. Best thing you can do before this time comes is buy more seed and overseed the whole lawn again and wait. Forget the mulch, your paying for recycled paper. Lay down the seed at the proper time and nothing will keep that seed from germinating. Soon as you see the weeds coming, and they will come, don't panic. Make sure your lawn gets water and fertilizer to make it grow thick. When you do this for the whole spring and the lawn gets thick, you can go after the weeds. A thick turf crowds out weeds and won't let them get the sunlight they need to flourish.Impatience killed more lawns than any weed killer ever did. If your still not satisfied do it again next fall.I have been doing this ,overseeding,every season, except summer for many many years and it works great at very little cost to me. You being from West Pa, you should be looking at a good Kentucky bluegrass seed to plant in this area. Patchmaster isn't the best, too yellow in my opinion. Outside Pride in Oregon sells Midnight, KGB, check it out on line. There are newer varieties but non better than midnight. The grass is black green. By the way, I am from outside of Pittsburgh in Coraopolis, so we are almost neighbors. I wish you luck and hope your lawn is the best in the neighborhood and it can be, it's up to you. Do things right at the right time and be patient. Growing a showplace lawn is a piece of cake if you do things right and at the right time of year. Moisture, good seed and fertilizer, sunlight is all you need, with patience. Good Luck Lawndivot

• tobyidiot
    15 years ago

I don't like that stuff at all....the seed is terrible and the product seems cheap.

• Mark McIntosh
    11 years ago

Adding to this. If you leave the mulch there, then when do you change watering back to normal?