Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theconstantgardeners

urgent: 1 week old fescue germination...what now?

Hello,

I am the same guy that's started the thread about watering fescue seeds in colder temps. LONG STORY short:

I seeded tall turf fescue here in Athens, Georgia on November 1st or so. I just started seeing germination a week ago (November 21st). I guess it took a little longer because of the cooler temps.

We've had average temps here in Georgia so far this fall. Its been highs from the mid 50's to low 70's and lows from the mid 40s to low 30's the last 3 weeks or so. We've got more of the same on the way. Its even been near freezing but I don't think we've had a 'frost'.

MY QUESTION: Is this a tease? Are the young fescue seedlings going to die from falling soil temps soon? Is there anything I can do to help them? Might they survive the winter and tiller in the spring? Read my update on the other thread for more details please.

I just looked at a calculator on georgiaweather.net and it says our soil temps are already down to the high 40's. That really scared me. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments (5)