Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hogan_nj

water in fertilizer?

hogan_nj
13 years ago

I read somewhere you do not need to water after fert. in the fall. Is this true?

Comments (8)

• texas_weed
    13 years ago

I would say NO. Here is the deal when you water you can control the rate so as to apply enough water to dissolve the fertilizer and let it soak into the ground. If you wait on rain to do that it is very possible to get a toad strangler and wash all that expensive fertilizer down the storm drains.

Secondly leaving some fertilizers (fast release formulas) on the ground can burn grass. This can happen a couple of different ways.

1. If the grass was wet when applied will dissolve some of the product but remain on the blades and burn the grass from high concentrations of nitrogen.

2. is similar to 1 except morning dew droplets mixing with the product.

• goren
    13 years ago

I believe the bags of granular fertilizer mentions about why you should water the lawn after applying it. First, it helps dissolve the fertilizer so it can be absorbed into the soil as well as knocking the granules off the blades of grass to make better contact with the soil.
    As far as liquid fertilizer, it is best to water the area first, then apply the fertilizer after about an hour.
    This creates a capilliary action and takes the fertilizer down to the roots. If you apply liquid fertilizer while the lawn is dry, it might run off where you don't want it or otherwise sit and evaporate. It has to dampen the soil before being absorbed.

• nearandwest
    13 years ago

I fertilized my newly seeded lawn today with Scotts 24-24-4 Starter fertilizer and watered it in immediately. I have no concerns about the results I will see in 7-10 days.

Neal, NCCTP

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

Synthetic granular ferts must be watered in for the reasons TW mentioned. Organic ferts may be left dry or watered without fear of hurting the grass. Maybe someone was talking about one and thinking about the other???

• mike_home
    13 years ago

hogan_nj,

If you are in New Jersey, then there is enough moisture on the ground each morning which makes watering in unnecessary.

I apply fertilizer around Thanksgiving weekend. I have never watered it in.

• hogan_nj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I am in NJ. Will the fertilizer make its way down to the soil without it being watered in?

• mike_home
    13 years ago

It eventually will get down into the soil. Rain will speed up the process.

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

If you are in New Jersey, then there is enough moisture on the ground each morning which makes watering in unnecessary.
    I apply fertilizer around Thanksgiving weekend. I have never watered it in.

This is why these forums are so good. I've never seen anyone not burn their lawn if they did not water in synthetic fertilizer. The tiny amount of moisture called dew usually creates an extremely salt-dense solution that burns everything it touches.