Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water in fertilizer?

Posted by hogan_nj (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 19:18

I read somewhere you do not need to water after fert. in the fall. Is this true?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water in fertilizer?

I would say NO. Here is the deal when you water you can control the rate so as to apply enough water to dissolve the fertilizer and let it soak into the ground. If you wait on rain to do that it is very possible to get a toad strangler and wash all that expensive fertilizer down the storm drains.

Secondly leaving some fertilizers (fast release formulas) on the ground can burn grass. This can happen a couple of different ways.

1. If the grass was wet when applied will dissolve some of the product but remain on the blades and burn the grass from high concentrations of nitrogen.

2. is similar to 1 except morning dew droplets mixing with the product.

o

I believe the bags of granular fertilizer mentions about why you should water the lawn after applying it. First, it helps dissolve the fertilizer so it can be absorbed into the soil as well as knocking the granules off the blades of grass to make better contact with the soil.
As far as liquid fertilizer, it is best to water the area first, then apply the fertilizer after about an hour.
This creates a capilliary action and takes the fertilizer down to the roots. If you apply liquid fertilizer while the lawn is dry, it might run off where you don't want it or otherwise sit and evaporate. It has to dampen the soil before being absorbed.

o

I fertilized my newly seeded lawn today with Scotts 24-24-4 Starter fertilizer and watered it in immediately. I have no concerns about the results I will see in 7-10 days.

Neal, NCCTP

o

Synthetic granular ferts must be watered in for the reasons TW mentioned. Organic ferts may be left dry or watered without fear of hurting the grass. Maybe someone was talking about one and thinking about the other???

o

hogan_nj,

If you are in New Jersey, then there is enough moisture on the ground each morning which makes watering in unnecessary.

I apply fertilizer around Thanksgiving weekend. I have never watered it in.

o

Yes I am in NJ. Will the fertilizer make its way down to the soil without it being watered in?

o

It eventually will get down into the soil. Rain will speed up the process.

o

If you are in New Jersey, then there is enough moisture on the ground each morning which makes watering in unnecessary.
I apply fertilizer around Thanksgiving weekend. I have never watered it in.

This is why these forums are so good. I've never seen anyone not burn their lawn if they did not water in synthetic fertilizer. The tiny amount of moisture called dew usually creates an extremely salt-dense solution that burns everything it touches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here