Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiedawnpam_gw

Filling dog holes

prairiedawnpam
10 years ago

I'm wondering if using pine pellets like horse bedding or wood stove pellets would be appropriate to fill the holes with or would that be a problem to the lawn come springtime?

I have two dogs that have dug some big holes in our lawn. Their exercise was neglected due to serious illness and deaths in our family over the last year and they got bored. Our budget is tight now and, off-season, bags of soil are pricey. Plus, we've discovered that the dogs love re-digging holes after they are filled with dirt but soil topped with sand keeps them away. Filling the holes with their own feces just leads them to dig a new hole. Since we've got snow now, my main goal is to fill the holes to keep family members from breaking their legs. I can do something better in the springtime. Thoughts?

This post was edited by prairiedawnpam on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 19:23

Comments (7)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

You might mulch the entire yard about 3-6 inches deep with chipped wood from tree trimmers. Dogs love the feel of that stuff. Where do you live?

• prairiedawnpam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm near Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We have a large yard, so mulching in the snow would be costly ant and difficult. I could fill holes with wood chips and top them with sand if that wouldn't harm the lawn come springtime.

• beckyinrichmond
    10 years ago

In spring you'd have a hole filled with chips and sand. I don't understand what harm you're trying to avoid to the lawn. It sounds like it's already damaged. If you're thinking about planting grass seed or sod in the spring, you will have to remove the chips and sand and fill the hole with dirt. If you just want to avoid people hurting themselves in holes, mark where the hole is and don't walk there.

• prairiedawnpam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't want the dogs to twist their legs, either. Here in Canada our healthcare is free, but an orthopedic vet bill would be crippling. I think I will just use whatever organic matter I can get my mittens on to fill the holes and in spring I'll switch it out with proper soil and sod.

• prairiedawnpam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. That is the explanation I needed. The dogs are getting adequate exercise now and digging will stop.

• goren
    10 years ago

Its never wrong to overtop a lawn with some good topsoil/compost/triple mix. Any time we can add organic matter to our lawns then it is much better for it.
    EVERY spring, 1/2" - 1" of the topsoil, with accompanying over seeding of your chosen grass type seed, will encourage strong root growth---which will, in the end, provide strong defense against that which likes to attack it.

You have dogs....so you have to accept the fact that your lawn will pay for it. Their urine is pure nitrogen and will, in short order, kill what lawn roots, it makes contact with.
    Obtaining the strongest root growth is your best defense.
    Plugs from nearby gardens--or other areas, can be used to fill in those areas that are affected by what the dogs do.

Putting their feces into areas trying to influence them to stay away....I cant see that ever working....it will only invite other dogs to visit, to smell, and to leave their droppings as well to mark their way.
    And once they find such an invite, they'll return many times.