Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blaher

Thanks guys for the new lawn help

blaher
10 years ago

I previously asked a question here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0717570326516.html?9015063b585c40dc70664ba73bf82bb8&rnd=Pvjfn

I more so lurked around a lot on these forums, grabbing all the tips and learning from a lot of previous discussions. I figured I would post the results of my new lawn. As I have you guys to thank.

It's now a midwest fall for me, so don't mind the leaves I'm mulching back in to the yard. It's still a little bit mature, but I'm told it will be nice and full with a dark green by May. I hope the maturity will help even it out. I also have a huge plantain weed problem, but that should hopefully fix it's self this winter. Other than a few bare spots from rainfall on the seeds, it's perfect for me.

I will continue to cut it at mower specified "3.5in", the highest I can go with the highest wheel notch as well. It's actually really a little over 3.5", maybe close to 4". I used a starter fertilizer twice so far, once not long after seeding and another time a month or so ago. I don't plan on using corn meal gluten in the spring, because I may want to seed some of the bare spots, so I may stick with another organic fertilizer and nothing weed pre-emergent. I DO NOT use a lawn roller. I assume my neighbors actually think I'm nuts using a push broom on my yard, but I like the stripes without having to compact the soil with a roller. I switch horizontal versus diagonal every weekly mowing cycle. I am probably going to continue to mow late in the fall, even with little weekly growth, just to help mulch up the leaves. After getting past the 3" inch growth mark, I had it on a weekly 1" watering schedule (only on Sundays right after I'm done mowing), but this fall there has been more than a inch of rain every week, so I've stopped until spring.

Here's hoping the roots go deep before Ohio's hot summer hits next year. Any suggestions to what I've described?

Comments (2)