Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalbb

Lawn ID from new grass seed

socalbb
11 years ago

It's October here in Southern California and our summer lawn was full of terrible-looking Bermuda grass with ugly seed heads. In desperation, I put down some topsoil and grass seed over our our lawn but not sure what type of grass seed it was (newbie). It took about 7 days for the grass to grow from seed. And it appears to be spreading out across the majority of our lawn pretty well. Still have patchy areas along 1/3 of the lawn. Trying to figure out what I need to do next in terms of mowing and keeping the lawn looking nice through the winter.

Comments (5)

• socalbb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My photo didn't upload the first time. Please see photo of my lawn from new grass seed below:

• tiemco
    11 years ago

The type(s) of grass you used should be listed on the bag of seed you bought. If you don't have it, then from your pics and description of how long it took to germinate I'd guess you have mostly rye grass, probably perennial, but it could also be annual. If you have a mix of grasses, then your mix probably has some seeds that haven't germinated yet, or have just started. It's essential to keep seeds continually moist until the period for germination is over but that depends on the grass type. Growing grass and taking care of it isn't rocket science, you need to cut it regularly, water it when it needs water, and fertilizer periodically. Unfortunately you have overseeded your warm season grass with a cool season grass. It's going to look great now and probably through the winter and spring, but once the heat returns, it will struggle, and the warm season grass will start to wake up and compete with what you just planted. Also overseeding warm season grass will weaken it and it's quality won't be as nice next year. Since you already overseeded you might as well take care of your new grass. Mow it when it reaches 3 inches tall, cut it down to 2 inches. Do a search on this forum and you will find many threads regarding new lawns, overseeding warm seeding grasses, cool season grasses, and other lawn care info.

• socalbb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply and detailed info. We had a third party overseed our lawn but I put down additional bermuda grass seed afterwards. Doesn't look like that's bermuda growing though so it must have been rye grass that was put down. Our lawn was in terrible shape this past summer -- mostly dirt with patches of bermuda grass full of seed heads so I don't think I could have weakened it anymore than it already was. I'll check out the link to the forum you mentioned and see if there's a way I can still keep the lawn looking nice next year. Thanks again.

• socalbb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply and detailed info. We had a third party overseed our lawn but I put down additional bermuda grass seed afterwards. Doesn't look like that's bermuda growing though so it must have been rye grass that was put down. Our lawn was in terrible shape this past summer -- mostly dirt with patches of bermuda grass full of seed heads so I don't think I could have weakened it anymore than it already was. I'll check out the link to the forum you mentioned and see if there's a way I can still keep the lawn looking nice next year. Thanks again.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

From San Luis Obispo to Bakersfield to El Centro to San Diego, the SoCal megaregion is bigger than England. You'll have to narrow it down. Where are you in SoCal? Don't be afraid to name the community. There are some communities where warm season grasses should not be tried and some where cool season grasses should not be tried.

Bermuda seed will only germinate when the soil temp is in the 80s. If you actually live where it gets hot enough, that will likely not happen again until June. Don't waste any more seed until then.

Find the Bermuda Bible online, download it, and memorize it. It was written by Texas-Weed (you'll find him on this forum). He is a professional grass farmer and cranky grass guru. ;-)

Good pix of the grass.