Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions for lawn improvement

Posted by reddy123 Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 20:05

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I learned so much about organic lawn care from this website. I am interested in organic lawn care. We live in San antonio, TX. We bought this house couple of months back and started immediately using alfalfa pellets & corn meal on our lawn. I heard about bermuda bible (assuming my grass is bermuda), but i would like to go with organic to improve my lawn. I am posting pics of my lawn. I would like to request any suggestions to improve my lawn. And also I found a lot of these black bugs in my lawn.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions for lawn improvement

Those black bugs are beetles they can demolish many crops if in large numbers. Chances are you have a grub infestation. Try "lifting" your grass if it seems to pull up like a carpet may mean you have a grub infestation. Also try pulling up some grass and seeing if you have any of these "grubs" which simply are white worms eating your lawns roots.

o
RE: suggestions for lawn improvement

Looks like you didn't keep up with your watering? You're allowed to water about 7 hours every other week. That should be enough to keep it green if you use all 7 hours. You'll need timers on a sprinkler system or on your hoses. Orbit makes a battery powered, programmable, hose timer that works very well. I ran one with a Y splitter to drive two oscillator sprinklers. I believe that timer is about $35 on Amazon. Never seen one in stores.

I don't think those black bugs are a problem for you. I was living in Cotulla in 2010 and those things coated the entire town. The guy taking care of the pool at our hotel pulled out 30 pounds per DAY of those things. They lasted at least a month. The parking lot was blackened with them. They had to pressure wash the entire parking lot every day because it was slippery with the squashed bugs. It became a huge problem of what to do with the carcasses? Being a lawn kind of guy, I was watching the grass at this hotel. I didn't see any damage from the beetles. I wouldn't worry. I'd worry more about catching up with watering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here