Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unkept lawn for 4 years Destroyed by moles.

Posted by Dude6710 Mn (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 20:39

I have an almost flat corner lot on 3.5 acres, no/little trees.

We moved in two weeks ago and I cut the whole yard. What a task I tell you...

Waist height grass for the most part besides half of the front yard and 100ft around the back and sides.

So I mowed it all with the deck all the way up on my JD 200 series tractor and I'm scalping the grass all over the place because it was over ran by moles. All moles are off the property now.

Not to mention its a very very bumpy ride, got bruises on both of my legs from smashing into the dash.

I would like to try to smoothen this out myself. I know its a very big task but something has to be done.

I might go buy a rear walk behind tiller and a landscape rake and try to smoothen it out throughout the year.

Ill till down 3-4 inches and level it from there and I'm well aware about dormant weed seeds I may bring up but if this will make my lawn flatter I'm all for it as long as it grows greenish.

Thoughts about this? Ideas?

I don't really want to pay someone to do this because 50% of the yard needs help not the whole thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unkept lawn for 4 years Destroyed by moles.

The tool you need is called a box blade. Landscapers who know what they're doing all use a box blade. In fact it is also called a landscaper's blade. Here is a picture of one in action...

Someone with experience can cover 5 acres in a morning if there are no sprinklers, trees, or paving in the way. When this is finished, it is ready for planting and then rolling.

o

Bumping this back.

It's going to be unfrozen soon so I'm trying to figure out my best option without re seeding the lawn. I have no way to water new seed.

So I've been reading a lot and have a few options.

I was thinking about making a drag out of a chain link fence door and add weight so it will cut the high spots. The neighbor said that's what they did.

Or

Rent a 1 ton roller and ride that around for the day and then aerate after.

I don't care about a luscious lawn. I just want it to be less bumpy so I don't destroy my deck.

Any ideas are welcome. I'm not expecting a perfectly flat lawn but anything would help at this point.

I just don't want to use a box blade and have to re plant my whole lawn.

o

Here's a video that would make this all much simpler

http://youtu.be/NRlIeTBBERk

o

Well I made something. Hope to try it out in a few weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here