Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange looking patches

Posted by Skumar CA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 20:39

Hello everyone,

My grass(whats left of it) started turning this orange/brown color about a month ago. I was watering the grass every morning for about 10 minutes, but then I decreased the watering the every other day for 7 minutes. I dont know what kind of grass I have. When I look at it closely, front part of the grass does not even look like grass (just bunch of little weeds). My question is can this be salvaged and would it be possible for me have a lush green grass without sodding it?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange looking patches

If you take a paper towel and rub it on the grass, does it turn orange? If not, it looks like your grass is dying in that area, possibly due to a fungal disease. Your watering schedule is incorrect by the way. Watering everyday, or every other day encourages shallow rooting, and can lead to fungal issues and increased weed pressure. It's better to water deeply and infrequently. I agree that you have a lot of weeds in the front portion of your lawn. Where exactly do you live in CA?

o

I wiped with the paper towel and it did not get any color on it. Thanks for the watering advise. I live in northern CA, Stockton to be specific. Is there a cure for this?

o

If it is a fungal issue, then it's hard to say. Sometimes the grass will come back if the crowns are ok, and sometimes it kills the grass depending on the fungus. It might not be a fungal issue as well, could be another reason. Unfortunately with the falling temperatures you won't see a lot of regrowth, if any, until next spring. At that point you will have to assess what you have, and what you should do about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here