Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ph for tall fescue blend.

Posted by lainey2 va 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 21:24

What is the perfect ph for blend of tall fescue grass. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ph for tall fescue blend.

Instead of one number, aim for a range between 6.2-6.8 as tall fescue prefers slightly acidic soils. Adjusting soil pH isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, it takes time (years), and to get an exact number is almost impossible. My pH this spring was 5.4. I put down lime twice this year and will test early next spring to see where I stand pH wise.

o

Timeco, I had no idea it was so difficult. What kind of lime do you use?

o

It's not brain surgery difficult, but there is no exact formula to get to a certain pH. Raising or lowering pH takes time, and there are many variables that can affect it. Currently I am using a product called Cal-Turf-Pro (Lesco). It is similar to calcitic lime except it works faster as it isn't just small pieces of limestone. It contains some organic acids and chelating agents. There are two types of lime, calcitic and dolomitic. Both of them raise pH, but my calcium levels were low and my Ca:Mg ratio was low as well. A good soil test will give you a Ca:Mg ratio, which in turn will tell you which lime you should use.

o

Thanks, tiemco. I'll check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here