Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a cheap greenhouse to grown lawn segments in winter

Posted by NOVA-Resident none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 21:38

Hi, we recently redid a lousy part of the lawn. It's has shady and sunny areas. After aeration and their late seeding (mid october) the area is still mostly mud with some small sprouts

So the question is, can I use a cheap or homemade greenhouse (a portable one) to put on top of a segment of the lawn for a few weeks at a time during winter to extend the growing season? It's getting cold here in the mid-atlantic. Mostly growing fescue in the sunny redone parts, creeping red in the semi-shade, and poa trivialis in 3 extremely shady corners under the deck that only get morning sun. Obviously being drought intolerant they should need to grow roots before summer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a cheap greenhouse to grown lawn segments in winter

Lawns, like other plants, go into dormancy---that's what protects them from harsh winters--and roots wont germinate new growth in such low temperatures.
To put a greenhouse over a specific area, with conditions that would encourage such growth, wouldn't persevere long enough and any such germination wouldn't last very long once the conditions that encouraged such growth was removed.

Remember...its the soil temperature---not any for a brief period that encourages growth. lasts.

You just have to accept such conditions until spring--and the rebounding of soil temperatures which will hasten germination and growth.

o

I always wonder if I agree with goren.

I think using the greenhouse is a creative idea that will accidentally work for you in one place or another. But I don't think you can spread out the movement/timing and get an overall good result.

o

buy a bunch of heating blankets and lay them out at night (hopefully not raining), then when the sun comes up remove the blankets and put your cheap greenhouse or clear tarps with a bunch of stakes holding them up about a few inches off the soil, then repeat with blankets. I have been that crazy to extend the season and get the season started. Don't send me your electric bill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here