Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Centipede Sod in Zone 8B

Posted by brownthumb65 8B Tallahassee (naturalmeds37@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 22:08

Hi!
I was wondering if it is ok for me to lay down some centipede sod in Tallahassee,Florida?
I see everyone is selling it, but I am not sure if special care needs to be taken since it is getting close to winter.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Centipede Sod in Zone 8B

You can probably sod all year round there since it is not going to have any extended freezes. Why centipede though?

o

You can lay sod anytime of the year as long as the ground is not frozen or mud.

As for special care for Centiweed grass, they don't call it LAZY MAN gras for nothing. Only requirement is your soil is soil acidic nothing else will grow in it, and drag an empty bag of fertilizer around in spring.

o

Centiweed? HELP!!! We just moved up here from South Florida and all I see is centipede all over the place! I just assumed that is the way to go in this area. What is wrong with centipede? What else can I use? ST. Augustine I thought was hard to take care of...
Thanks!

o

If centipede is a popular choice would indicate your soil PH is very acidic. I wouldn't go as far to say there is anything wrong with centipede. I would say it is more of a niche application. It is not a particularly attractive grass, but it does have the lowest input requirements of all the grasses out there hence why they call it the LAZY MANS GRASS as all it needs is mowed once every 7 to 10 days and fertilized once a year in the spring. It performs best in very acidic low fertility sandy soil where not much else would grow.

If you go with it:

1. DO NOT over fertilize, drag an empty bag around once in early spring. :>) OK one fertilizer application per year applying 1 pound of nitrogen per 1000/ft2 with little to no phosphorous early in the spring, but no more.

2. DO NOT mow low. Doing so will cause it to thin out and possible die. 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 inches is about right mowed about every 7 to 10 days.

o

Thanks for the tips Texas-Weed!
You're right, we are basically a sandy soil around here. I am on the edge of a large field and the centipede sounds perfect. We just need to cover up the sandy area around our entrance to the house.
Thanks again.

o

Before I would dive into it I think it would be wise to test your soil PH first as a sanity check. It it is 6 or less you should be OK. 5.0 to 5.5 is perfect.

o

Will do! Thanks!
:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here